Radio Replacement - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Radio Replacement

I am looking to replace my AM/FM, casette radio on my '93 FLHTC with an AM/FM CD radio and do not know where to start looking. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Ed
russelblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am a new member and I am sorry to see no one has ever responded to your query. I have the same desire to upgrade to a modern radio with a CD player, but keep all the handlbar controls. Same year bagger.
How about it? anyone got any ideas how this could be attained?
GHBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Boooya!!!

start with biketronics or hog tunes. they will have some bolt in replacement stuff. if you use the search feature here I know this topic has been covered before. you may fined more info. I usually do all custome stuff an the bikes I work on. at least its a start.

Father giving advice to son: Never do anything once around the house that you don't want to do for the rest of your life.
- Frank Briggs

A man isn't a man until he has to meet a payroll.
- Ivan Shaffer

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
- Dean Martin
streetnoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick response. I will look into them two right now. Anyone else got some thoughts on the upgrade?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I upgraded to an AM/FM/CD player with an AUX and USB port. I was more interested in the AUX and USB ports than the CD. That way I can play music from my Iphone and charge it at the same time.

I ended up buying a marine grade head unit made by Kenwood. All the electronics have a conformal coating to resist moisture. I got it on Amazon for around $120. It looks and performs better than the stock unit from my 1987 Tour Glide. The only downside is the hand controls don't work, but I rarely used them anyway.

Just thought I would give you something else to think about. BTW, I have found that the CD will skip on roads with bad expansion joints . . . The iphone never skips.

'dale

1970 Honda CB450
1980 Yamaha SR500
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1987 BMW R80RT
1987 Harley Davidson FLTC Tour Glide
1990 BMW K100RS
1992 BMW K75
2002 Harley Davidson VRSCA V-Rod
2008 Honda Nighthawk
2008 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom
Aberdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dale, thanks for the reply. The hand controls are important to me. I use them almost exclusively. I had a rather lengthy conversation with a tech at Biketronics last nite. They no longer produce a plug and play complete kit for my bike, 93 bagger, due to the fact that the connectors for this model are no longer available. They will put a kit together and walk me thru adapting to what is available. I will get Cd, USB and better quality. What I will not get is weather radio. Shit!

Butch
Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Boooya!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdale View Post
I upgraded to an AM/FM/CD player with an AUX and USB port. I was more interested in the AUX and USB ports than the CD. That way I can play music from my Iphone and charge it at the same time.

I ended up buying a marine grade head unit made by Kenwood. All the electronics have a conformal coating to resist moisture. I got it on Amazon for around $120. It looks and performs better than the stock unit from my 1987 Tour Glide. The only downside is the hand controls don't work, but I rarely used them anyway.

Just thought I would give you something else to think about. BTW, I have found that the CD will skip on roads with bad expansion joints . . . The iphone never skips.

'dale
there are radios available that you can keep the hand controls for instance any kenwood that has the wired remote control option. it is a blue wire with yellow stripe on the back of the radio. then there is an adaptor that can wire to the controls.

Father giving advice to son: Never do anything once around the house that you don't want to do for the rest of your life.
- Frank Briggs

A man isn't a man until he has to meet a payroll.
- Ivan Shaffer

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
- Dean Martin
streetnoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Garage
I have an '01 UC, my dealer has told me that I can bring them the bike and they will do an upgrade (retrofit) of my system, upgrading to one that is MP3 capable, the cost was ~$400' still trying to decide if I want to spend that. I guess it may be a bit harder for an older bike though...
The object in life is not to arrive in a pristine well taken care of body; rather it is to slide in sideways, body thoroughly used up, a drink in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming "That was one HELL of a ride!!!"
Tom31w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am confused. the original post was dated 3-19-2010. is this still an issue to the OP??
Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ret. 1SG now CFP

Pretty much any stereo designed with stalk controls can be adapted to work with handlebar controls. You just need someone who knows what he's doing. Last year, I put a Sony in the 05 I had. A local custom shop charged me $100 to wire it into the handlebar controls.
1SG_CFP is offline   Reply With Quote