Cigarette lighters on touring models.... - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistavette
If you put a plug that's too large it can cause a problem. Most of them are small enough that they clear the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash905 View Post
Only an issue with bat wings.
Ahh. Thanks for the clarification.
vistavette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #32 (permalink)

I use it on my 09 RKC for ipod, gps cell no problems. After making the quick connect under the seat I ran it into my right side saddlebag cannot even see it.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
2013 FLHR

On my 06 I keep a blue star lite on all the time when it is not being used for gps or phone...
RickDeVon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Firefightere 33 the power socket for satnav /tomtom have used it since 2005 on an ultraglide classic
CHRIS O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #35 (permalink)

alright I know these are old posting but I read thru them all and here is my problem. I plugged my GPS in my cigarette lighter on a 2005 Classic and it popped the fuse. I tried the ipod and it also popped the fuse. The dealer wants HD to trouble shoot it and I can't see it. So here is my idea but I want feed back first. I was thinking of getting the powerlet that mounts on the handle bars and run the wires under the tank and then connect right to the battery with a fuse in it just to make sure....Here is also something others might need to know I am not a mechanic in any sense of the word so would it be extremely hard to lift the tank to run these wires under it?
mkeeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #36 (permalink)

Garage
I have my GPS plugged in and my ipod and it's not been any problem. I use a duel plug but it does stick out far so I have to mindful that in a sharp turn it doesn't break the plug.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

You can fish the wires through the tunnel in between the tank...pretty easy..along where the other wires run...realy no need to remove tank unless you just want too.. I use a long zip tie one time and a old car ant to do it before......
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeagle View Post
alright I know these are old posting but I read thru them all and here is my problem. I plugged my GPS in my cigarette lighter on a 2005 Classic and it popped the fuse. I tried the ipod and it also popped the fuse. The dealer wants HD to trouble shoot it and I can't see it. So here is my idea but I want feed back first. I was thinking of getting the powerlet that mounts on the handle bars and run the wires under the tank and then connect right to the battery with a fuse in it just to make sure....Here is also something others might need to know I am not a mechanic in any sense of the word so would it be extremely hard to lift the tank to run these wires under it?
A couple of things: first thing i'd do is open the fairing and check the polarity on the lighter wires. It appears that often the factory had the ground and positive wires reversed as in the positive on the outside and the negitive to the center of the lighter socket. If this is the case your lighter would work fine but you'd experience the fuse issue with anything else. Also, on my 09 Ultra the socket was not completely solid inside which meant that a 12v acc plug wouldn't maintain contact. The acc 12v socket that Harley sells is a direct replacment for the lighter and will fix that issue. In the event that you still want to run a line there should be switched power in the fairing, mine was an extra set of leads on the headlight harness; your 05 is probably similar. I wound up running a dedicated powered usb for my gps from that source.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Motorcycle.com Free App
vistavette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #39 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

EZ-Electrical plug for accessories.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #40 (permalink)

dam i need to get modern i turn phone off use mapwhen i take rode trip
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.