Harley Davidson Forums banner

My Mods Thread - 2014 Road King CVO

33K views 102 replies 23 participants last post by  wachuko 
#1 · (Edited)

Must have mods - Road Glide Custom CVO

The king is dead, long live the king!

Purchased on August 28, 2014 from Space Coast Harley Davidson - Palm Bay, FL

2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec shadow graphics

The deal:

25.5K for my '12 RGC CVO (no tour*pak - I gave that to a friend (Cory here in the forum), and I kept the passenger backrest, Headwinds fog lights (can't get those anymore), GPS, heat shields, fans...)

27,241.09 OTO for the '14 RK CVO with the following parts list:

4-Point Docking HW Kit in Black - 523000354
Large Rear Docking Hardware Cover Kit - Black (Need 2 kits) - 48223-10
Rear Saddlebag Guards - Black - 46548-03 (comfort styled not available in black )
Transparent Paint Guard Kit for Saddlebags - 11100098
Service Manual
CVO Supplement Manual
Parts Catalog
Long Angled Adjustable Highway Peg Mount Kit - Black - 50500167
Jiffy Stand Extension - 50000023
Men's PowerHouse Jacket – Large - 97429-14VM
1st service (oil/filter change)

Additional mods to perform:

Fullsac 2.0 muffler cores to get additional sound from the stock units... I like how the stock mufflers look
Fuel Moto ceramic coated headpipe (take off from my previous bike)
Power Vision (take off from my previous bike, just need to buy the license)
Color matched saddlebag spoilers with light
Wards fans (take off from my previous bike)
Harleygoodies floorboard extensions (well vtwingoodies now - http://www.vtwingoodies.com)
Headwins Caliper Mounted 2" Lights. Modified with LED lights. These are also take offs from my previous bike. And you can't get them any more... they match the style of the muffler tips.
Custom Dynamics front LED Turn signals/driving lights (take off from my previous bike)
AirMaster Reflective Smoke Saddle Shields - Küryakyn (also from my previous bike)
Harley finally came out with levers for the hydraulic controls... going with the edge cut units - part # 36700067
And I want a power outlet for the air compressor - for any emergency - part #69200091

I need better front suspension... going to change the fork oil for the heavy one and see if that helps... but looking for suspension vendors that have something for the new bikes...

EZ Up Wheeldock center stand - thank you Cory!!

Ok... a few more photos...

Naked!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Forgive the lousy phone photos... will post better photos later

Fans installed:

Fog/driving lights installed:

Custom Dynamics rings installed (no load balancer was required):

Sidestand extension installed (and yes, after seeing the photo I realized that the bolt was installed incorrectly and fixed it ) :

Highway pegs installed:

Cup and phone holder:

Heat shields

Tag frame

Docking hardware in black is next...

Harleygoodies (well vtwingoodies now - http://www.vtwingoodies.com) floorboard extensions and FuelMoto headpipe is also on the list to do next... maybe this weekend.

Most of the parts are take offs from the RGC, a few are new.

#4 ·
It was a few things...universe aligned and I went for it. Here it goes:

1. RGC was out of warranty and I never bothered to buy the extended warranty... I worry too much... and reading the CVO forum on the 110 engine problems was not helping... So one of the reasons was for peace of mind. With the RK CVO I got the 7 year warranty/tires contract.

2. I wanted the new stuff... the new bags, the new linked ABS brake system, the new wider forks and neck bearings...

3. Nothing 2015 called my name (the new RGC looks fantastic, but I hate to admit that I got spoiled with all the bits that come with the CVO, so I wanted another CVO). No 2015 RGC CVO meant that I needed to look for something else.

4. I like the paint and details on the RK CVO.

5. RK CVO have not been selling well around here. A salesman made that comment while I was at the dealer and that triggered the snowball... they had a sign with 3K off the '14 RK CVO... this was without any negotiation, so I decided to go for it, make the list of what I wanted, sent it to three dealers and let them fight for my business.

The good thing is that I always liked the Road King. That was the bike I went to buy when I went to get my first Harley. How I ended up with an RGC is still a mystery. Do not get me wrong, I truly enjoyed the RGC and only reason I do not have one now is because there was no CVO RGC this year...

Only regret with the new bike is that it is not blue... I doubt there will be another bike with such a beautiful color combination as that blue/dark blue RGC CVO that I had... so, for someone that blue is his favorite color, that was the hardest thing to do.

After the first 100-miles ride... this is what I noticed.

It sure feels like a much smaller bike... lighter and more agile... yes, I know that it is the same frame, size and almost the same weight... but just feels lighter and smaller...

I miss having the gauge cluster within line of sight... hate to look down to check on the speed and rpms... this should pass as I am only doing that to maintain the rpms in check during break-in period

You sure feel more protected from everything behind the fairing of the RGC. No buffeting on the Road King for me... but then again, I am 5'7" and shrinking. But glad to see that there were no issues with the wind at speeds of 65-70-80 (I kept the bike under 3K rpms... break in period you know...). It will take some time to get used to not having the fairing...

Beautiful bike. Love the tribal details on the paint. This is what first got my attention when they came out. Beautiful paint job... loved it in green, orange, or titanium... picked Orange because the wife liked it. I could have gone with either one of the three color options.

Those bags are awesome!! I was able to get my wallet from the bag without getting off the bike!! Try that with the older bags... enough said.

No lowers... meaning that with the wind, I could not feel any heat from the engine. That was a nice surprise since even without lower on the RGC I could feel the heat... engine was so quiet. Must be because it is new or something, but not as noisy as the RGC...

Full chrome wheels, this is a personal preference... but I liked the black and chrome combination of the rims on the RGC... just goes better with the black on the bike.

There is definitely a change in the seat... that or the whole bike is lower than the RGC... I was closer to the ground which was also a nice and positive surprise. But it has to be the seat...

A friend was riding behind my bike (Cory here in the forum)... and even if the RGC rear lights look much better integrated to the fairing, he was telling me that the RK lights were much brighter.

Headlight - Cory has an RGC with the Daymaker LEDs headlights... much, much better than the one in the RK. RK illuminated the road well, but the RGC lights were better...

Over 300 miles now... and all in all, very happy with the bike. It will take some getting used to it, but I like it!

#6 ·
Cool man. And you are right as rain about the blue on your RG that was a very nice color combo. Same as you I think the paint on the Roadkings are sweet. I sat on one at the dealership and I noticed the things you were describing right off in regards to the bike feeling lighter and sitting lower than my SG and like you my friend I am on the short side. All the waranty issues you sighted are dead on to becouse with the Roadglides Streetglides or really any of the touring bikes you have to have buckets of cash if you do not have a warranty. Well man Enjoy your new ride. I really want to see your review when you can really open her up and ride her like you stole her. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

#7 ·
What heat guards are those? Source?

--

#8 ·
#9 ·
Doesnt the CVO come with a Header already? The reason I ask is that as soon as I had the Rush header and V&H slip ons put on my SG I stoped having any problems with heat coming off the engine. They told me it had something to do with "Ceramic Pipes" If that makes any sense.

#10 ·
CVO comes with the same headpipes as the other touring bikes.

I have a FuelMoto ceramic coated, catless, headpipe... had it in my previous CVO and plan to install it on this one. Also ordering Fullsac 2" inserts for the mufflers to get a bit of more sound and maintain the stock pipes (love the looks of them).

#20 ·
#13 ·
I remember when you did your sporty mod thread. Is this bike in the living room also, lol. You must have an unlimited supply of play money and a really cool wife. I really loved your RG but the King is the King too. Good luck. Wonder when this all happened, I've been kind of quiet lately. I just purchased a new bike myself, 2014 Ultra. Its got me back up and running on the forums.

#22 ·
EZ-Up Wheeldock installed!!! Best birthday present ever!! (well... there is that gift a girlfriend gave me when I turned 21 :nod... but after that... best present ever!!!). Birthday is on the 9th...so got it early. Could not wait to do the install.

I can now use it even if on flip-flops! I hated that HD center stand sooo much...

Cory, dude!, you rock!!! Thank you!! :thumb

#25 ·
Nice. I got the green one. The handling is what sold me too. Moves like my meanstreak did. The seat is also by far the best stock seat i have ever spent a 600 mile day on. 11k on my odo with a bunch of down time for work in there. I love this bike, and green is by far the fastest color. Just sayin.

#31 ·
According to the site seedealercost.com, the dealers cost for a 2014 CVO Road King is $22,820. Evidently this is how they are able to discount 3k right off the bat.

#39 · (Edited)
Headwinds 2" bullet styled lights that match the exhaust tips (contrast cut). They do not make them anymore due to some legal issues they ran into....

UPDATE:: They still sell the lights (Link)... what they do not sell are the caliper mounts...

I later got some LED's to replace the halogen bulbs... They work and look great, IMHO of course.

All the wires/harness for the lights I covered with this for protection and looks

#40 ·
These came in a few days ago but the wife held them in captivity until my birthday... got them yesterday and they are ready to be installed!!

Floorboard extensions. I have had them in every bike and left them for the next owner to enjoy. Now the RK gets them as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.