You Look Tired and Confused - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

You Look Tired and Confused

What is the correct tread direction for the D408F tire the replacement tire for the service bulletin M-1258A replacing the D407F tire, the D408F tire when moving forward is the complete opposite of the rear tire,both rotational arrows are correct,the D407F tires the front and rear tread direction was the same, why would they have the front and rear tread patterns going in opposite directions the rear has water moving outward, where the front keeps the water in the center of the tire, jays mentioned this a few days ago about his fathers 09 and 10 and everyone said you need a D408F tire, does anyone know were there any defective D408F tires because the pattern is backwards, this is my D408F tire, any info greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09 Road King Classic 001.JPG (3.47 MB, 9 views)
flapper04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just bought a new limited, production date of 2-15-10, and it has 407's and the front tread is running in the same direction yours is. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's correct.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenalt View Post
I just bought a new limited, production date of 2-15-10, and it has 407's and the front tread is running in the same direction yours is. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's correct.
tires on the new Ultra's are dual compound. Soft rubber on the outside for corners and hard rubber in the middle for touring. People have been getting over 10,000+ miles on there back tires.

That may explain the weird look? Dual compound?
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapper04 View Post
What is the correct tread direction for the D408F tire the replacement tire for the service bulletin M-1258A replacing the D407F tire, the D408F tire when moving forward is the complete opposite of the rear tire,both rotational arrows are correct,the D407F tires the front and rear tread direction was the same, why would they have the front and rear tread patterns going in opposite directions the rear has water moving outward, where the front keeps the water in the center of the tire, jays mentioned this a few days ago about his fathers 09 and 10 and everyone said you need a D408F tire, does anyone know were there any defective D408F tires because the pattern is backwards, this is my D408F tire, any info greatly appreciated.
I got my Utra Limited September 3rd, 2009. The tread pattern is the same and it is a D408F. I have 10,000 miles and have been in the rain. I have not noticed any problem. I know in racing tires the rear and front patterns are reversed because the rear tire is for traction and the front tire is for braking.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427dave View Post
I got my Utra Limited September 3rd, 2009. The tread pattern is the same and it is a D408F. I have 10,000 miles and have been in the rain. I have not noticed any problem. I know in racing tires the rear and front patterns are reversed because the rear tire is for traction and the front tire is for braking.
thanks dave just a little concerned,if that is the correct pattern direction then thats ok, if you never had a problem in the rain I think I won't either, only rode in rain twice last year and once this year for a short distance about 6 miles, I thought it just made more sense to direct the water away from the front tire, but all the touring 10's at the dealer are the same as mine with the D408F on the front, went there today they're open on Sunday, all those new ones can't all be wrong.
Thanks flapper
Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinfluence63 View Post
tires on the new Ultra's are dual compound. Soft rubber on the outside for corners and hard rubber in the middle for touring. People have been getting over 10,000+ miles on there back tires.

That may explain the weird look? Dual compound?
What has me concerned is the D407's were being replaced with 408. I got a new bike, production date of 2-15-10 and the D407's. What's up with that?

I think I'm going to run them and if they start to cup take it in and see what they will do.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
What has me concerned is the D407's were being replaced with 408. I got a new bike, production date of 2-15-10 and the D407's. What's up with that?

I think I'm going to run them and if they start to cup take it in and see what they will do.
wow don't know I would think you would have the D408's on yours, the pattern on my neighbors D407's is going in the opposite direction that mine is, mine has the D408's, he got his bike a week before me all I'm wondering is and they don't even know this at my dealer in Lisle IL is the front tread pattern suppose to be different than the rear tire.

2009 Road King Classic
Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

1) they never should have gone from 16 to what 17 on the front. Electraglide front and rear tired have been 16's forever.
2) If it ain't broke don't fix it.
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, dad and I went to the dealer with our concernsaying that the tires are a "directional" tire but yet the tread "direction" is opposite front to rear. The guys at the dealer say "if Dunlop did it it must be right" Honestly I don't think they were smart enough to comprehend what we were trying to describe as the front tire with the tread going the way it is will actually "trap" water at the outside leading edge of the tread and funnel it inward toward the center with no means of escape and possibly causing a hydroplaning condition.
Dad went home and contacted Dunlop and got this reply:

ALWAYS mount tires according to the arrows on the sidewall. The arrows indicate the correct direction of rotation. Most of our tires and competitors tires use different direction front and rear patters due to wear characteristics and tire construction [ and they all evacuate/dissipate water very well]. If you have any further questions feel free to call.
Thank you for your concern.

Chad Geer
Eastern Sales Support Representitive
Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV Tire Division:

Despite his answer, just looking at the front tread design it just doesn't make sense
jays44118 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Actually this is correct . Avon and Metzler have been doing it this way for years.

2 things are going on here:

1) the rear tire is “driving” or pushing against the pavement. The front tire is being driven or pushed by the pavement

2) the surface tension of water is harder to break through when tagent to the surface.
This is like jumping off a bridge and hitting the water. The surface tension creates a “wall” on a molecular level.

The front tire creates a wall of water in front of it.(using the grooves like paddles) A sort of shock wave in front of the tie breaks the surface tension so the tire can pass through it.
It’s like the bottle nose on the front of large ships. It also breaks the surface tension before the ships bow passes through it.

Otherwise you will hydroplane.

Last edited by cracker; 05-09-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: paste incorrect
cracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.