Best Road King model for new Harley buyer - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Best Road King model for new Harley buyer

We are considering the purchase of our first Harley Davidson. We have narrowed the search to the Road King due to looks, bike size relative to my husband's size, and overall preference. No Ultra's/faring models, not ready for that look just yet. We will be riding mostly on occasional evenings or weekends. Some city rides with some country road riding thrown in, occasional highway, 100 miles or less. He will probably ride it to work sometimes too, which is a 20 mile city ride. My husband is your basic "38 y.o, man's man, Alpha male, 6'1, 215lbs, ". He is an experienced enough rider to control probably any bike made, but not a hot shot or speed demon. My question is this-what is the best bike for us? I like the regular Road King...sun-glo red, soft seat, probably 96CC for power. He is just this side of OBSESSED with the 2008 Screamin Eagle 105 Anniversary in Copper/Black . Let me add that typically, he is of the mindset to get the BEST of any major thing we buy right off the bat...no need to upgrade or have envy anytime soon (if at all!). Can anyone offer some advice and or insight on which bike might be the best choice for us?
Frog Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Road King Rancher

The standard Road King is more than sufficient, and can easily be upgraded IF desired. I am 6 3 250 lbs and it is more than enough bike for my lady and I, although I have modified a few things, "just because". It certainly didnt need it. i have the Road King Classic, because I prefered the leather bags and spoked rims, but otherwise, its the same bike.
And to upgrade to a stage 1 or stage 2 is still cheaper than going with the screaming eagle model
OB
V&H HEADERS
SE MUFFLERS
SE 255 CAMS
SE Heavy Breather
SE Suprer Tuner Pro

2011 FLTRU
103 BIG BORE

V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip Ons
SE 255 Cam
Arlen Ness Big Sucker
SE Super Tuner Pro
OB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

"Can anyone offer some advice and or insight on which bike might be the best choice for us? "

mine
I have always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way.
hgwldrcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
On the fence!

So do u and ur husband currently ride and if so what do ya ride? I bought my 09 king last year after trading up and my wife and i love it!! We ride 2up every weekend and i ride to work all week. The King handles great whether 2up or alone and it looks great too!!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
2013 FLHR

If buying used go for an 09 model...or buying really used go for an 02-06....I rode an 06 Road King and made the move to an 06 Ultra...That's just me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harley.jpg (53.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2006 Ultra.jpg (147.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10155.JPG (2.61 MB, 7 views)
RickDeVon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

used go with a 03 to 07, if you got the scratch go for a brand new one or a used 09
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

first post, hey how ya doin?
antony031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

The best bike for you is whatever bike "trips your trigger." I purchased my first Harley, an 09 RK last Sept., and I couldn't be happier. The bike has more than full filled my expectations of it. I waited until the 09's came out because of the major changes made to the frame, suspension, engine mounting, exhaust routing, and the Dunlop multi compound tires. The improvement in handling compared to previous years is substantial. The RK or the RK classic is a might fine and good looking ride, capable of cranking out many miles with nary a hiccup.

My bike is stock with the exception of the electronic oil level/temp dipstick, LED rear tail light, and I added the digital speedo/analog tach. As soon as they are available, I'm adding the new LED headlight, LED aux lights, and LED front and rear turn signals.
murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Get what you want. I chose the RoadKing Classic for myself. It's what I wanted, and it's what I got. Some guys like having the hard bags of the regular RoadKing. Some want all the CVO bling. Me, I wanted the RKC. Also, to consider the Screaming Eagle or any bike for that matter, to be the best of a particular model is a mistake. The best is the one you have if you got the one you want. I do not consider a Screaming Eagle to be better than my bike. It's different from mine, but not better.
hd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
chromeandsteel

If you are considering a RK, I would go with the RKC 09, if for any other reason the anti lock breaks are a God send. Been riding a long, long time and every once in awhile you got to lock em up. The Anti locks stop straight and true.
I agree with the others, get a used 09, then as you get comfortable add all the toys. It never stops.