Problems on hdforums - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Problems on hdforums

I'm about ready to jump ship and give this forum a test and a recommendation for those of us who are sick of the problems on www.hdforums.com.

If we could get the participation on this forum that was present on HDForums we may have something. At the moment this isn't happening, but with enough irritation about HDForums and good experiences with this one, perhaps we'd be back in the groove.

Comments?

http://iclickphotos.com/Motorcycle/0...-04aL-Bike.jpg
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

We welcome folks here, but strongly urge against negative discussions about other sites. We try to keep it friendly here.

“Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words.” Dorothy Parker
12-07-2006
DiamondLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
On a ride

Been a long time hdforums member, but concur with your observations. The place is becoming tedious to work with. But you know, I'm also gaining appreciation for a place that is a little more cozy than a mammoth site. Since motorcycle.com bought this place, I've noticed its publicity/publication at a couple of other sites and believe this is the source for growth the site here is beginning to experience.

I think by the end of this calendar year we could really have quite a valuable participative presence here. To be sure, we have some of it now, but the potential is great. Glad to have you here.

Steve
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
The only issues I ever experienced with the HD-forums was the long download time to go from post to post....

I always thought it was my computer...
If you've been on since late May there are many problems:

1. Can't post messages longer than about one or two sentences (ASP error, sporadic). Very difficult to post any message at times.

2. Any double-space inserts a //; and every apostrophe is doubled, among other problems.

3. Very slow in Internet Explorer, much faster in Firefox v2.0.

4. Polls and thumbnails don't work.

No improvement in two months, with little mention of the problems from mods and none from admins.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

To clarify the intent of my post above, by urging against negative posting the intent is prevention of bashing any other site. Civil and reasonable discussion is always encouraged.

“Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words.” Dorothy Parker
12-07-2006
DiamondLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Been a long time hdforums member, but concur with your observations. The place is becoming tedious to work with. But you know, I'm also gaining appreciation for a place that is a little more cozy than a mammoth site.

Steve
What I liked about the site in question was the heavy participation, which created a great pool from which to acquire new ideas. Some of it doesn't interest me, but it's nice to post a question and get 20 replies within a few hours, some of which are useful. For example, in the Touring Forum there are already about 70 threads started or added to just today. But when it takes several tries, sometimes 15 min. or more, to post one message or reply, it begins wearing on you. It is also a problem to remove extraneous characters from the text of a message every time you edit it, as it multiplies them during editing. You can't use a dash, as it disappears merging the two letters preceding and following it; double-space adds //; characters; apostrophes are doubled; etc. I listed some of the problems above.

I have over 3500 posts on HDForums over three years and have contributed quite a few tutorials on installs, fixes, and tweaks. I haven't participated much here but will in the future, and may drop a note on HDForums inviting a movement away from that troubled forum. If there was any indication by forum admins to correct the problems I would be much more supportive and patient, and I'm not the only one miffed about the situation.

As for this forum, I'm still not used to the lack of ability to call photos from within a message (i.e., using [img] and [/img]), but I'll adapt. Since I'm a commerial photographer by trade (semi-retired) I tend to accompany all tutorials with photos. I guess posting links is good enough.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post
For example, in the Touring Forum there are already about 70 threads started or added to just today.
Ha ha, several of them were about not being able to post

Quote:
But when it takes several tries, sometimes 15 min. or more, to post one message or reply, it begins wearing on you.
There is an input buffer problem there. Some of it has to do the the numerous excessively large cookies which that software sets, and which get sent back to them with every request.

It's been my experience than any web page which contains ".asp" means the site is going to be problematic to use with non-Microsoft tools. MS seem to have an aversion to standard conventions for some reason...

Also, if there is an apostrophe in the Re: input box, each one gets doubled again on the way in through its input parser.

Quote:
It is also a problem to remove extraneous characters from the text of a message every time you edit it, as it multiplies them during editing. You can't use a dash, as it disappears merging the two letters preceding and following it; double-space adds //; characters; apostrophes are doubled; etc.
Any time an HTML entity is entered (how are you guys entering them? Is your Microsoft trying to be helpful and doing it on your behalf? I've never had that problem with my input), such as "  " (non-blanking space), which is necessary for multiple spaces getting represented in the rendered HTML (HTML rendering collapses whitespace), everything before the ; is stripped and the ; itself is escaped with a backslash "\". Then for some reason, as it gets parsed again within the site software, the escape itself is escaped, resulting in "\\;".

Every time input is provided, every apostrophe, double-quote, and backslash get escaped with another backslash or apostrophe in order to "preserve" them (for some wanky reason).

Quote:
As for this forum, I'm still not used to the lack of ability to call photos from within a message (i.e., using [img] and [/img]), but I'll adapt. Since I'm a commerial photographer by trade (semi-retired) I tend to accompany all tutorials with photos. I guess posting links is good enough.
I don't have one to reference just now, but at the bottom of this page it tells me those codes are enabled. Perhaps you need to use all caps?
glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glens View Post
There is an input buffer problem there. Some of it has to do the the numerous excessively large cookies which that software sets, and which get sent back to them with every request.

It's been my experience than any web page which contains ".asp" means the site is going to be problematic to use with non-Microsoft tools. MS seem to have an aversion to standard conventions for some reason...
I don't know, but the ability to post comes and goes, and I can't put my finger on a pattern. Sometimes I can post several lines, sometimes not even one goes through. I think it may be a factor of how many people are using the site, which I guess ties into the buffer issue you mentioned.

Quote:
Also, if there is an apostrophe in the Re: input box, each one gets doubled again on the way in through its input parser.
Yeah, which is a PITA. Every time you edit a message you must edit out every extraneous apostrophe. Otherwise it will become four, then eight on the next edit, etc. I even tried entering apostrophes using alt+39 (num. keypad) and that didn't work either. Going even further I tried using Notepad and copying the text to the forum, but no improvement there either.

Quote:
Any time an HTML entity is entered (how are you guys entering them? Is your Microsoft trying to be helpful and doing it on your behalf? I've never had that problem with my input), such as "  " (non-blanking space), which is necessary for multiple spaces getting represented in the rendered HTML (HTML rendering collapses whitespace), everything before the ; is stripped and the ; itself is escaped with a backslash "\". Then for some reason, as it gets parsed again within the site software, the escape itself is escaped, resulting in "\\;".
I solution is to use only single spaces, which flies in the face of 45 years of typing experience. My brain just doesn't like changing habits used for 45 years, so I must edit each post for double-spaces. That's why every message takes so long to compose.

Quote:
Every time input is provided, every apostrophe, double-quote, and backslash get escaped with another backslash or apostrophe in order to "preserve" them (for some wanky reason).
I think you should figure it out and fix the dadgum forum. Nobody else seems to be able to. BTW, someone who emailed me said he received a note from a moderator that the problem was induced by a virus, and that they couldn't fix it without destroying all databases. I can't believe they don't have every database backed up.

Quote:
I don't have one to reference just now, but at the bottom of this page it tells me those codes are enabled. Perhaps you need to use all caps?
Let's see if this shows up:

It works here with either upper- or lower-case ([img] or [IMG]), but it doesn't work when I try to stick the link into my signature. All I get is as you see below, a link.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just passing thru

There is no reason to be on one or the other site. Why not two forums or three.....

This place is small compared to the other but most all questions get answered one way or the other and we have that small town feel. Welcome, kick your shoes off and stay awhile.

Pics
EZE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE RIDER View Post
There is no reason to be on one or the other site. Why not two forums or three.....

This place is small compared to the other but most all questions get answered one way or the other and we have that small town feel. Welcome, kick your shoes off and stay awhile.
I read several forums relating to Harleys and HDForums has always had the best participation, at least for touring bikes. With that you get more ideas and answers, usually finding a solution and certainly more quickly. It's unfortunate that such a good resource is so poorly managed. I'll be spending more time here for sure.