Broken Saddlebag support bracket - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Broken Saddlebag support bracket

Installing my bag guard rails yesterday I noticed that left support bracket is broken. After some research on the part (90718-79B SUPPORT BRACKET, LEFT) it appears to be a very common problem. I started looking on ebay for a replacement before going the new route from the dealer and also noticed that there is a guy that makes a cheap fix with stainless that bolts to the broken stock one

There's also some aftermarket ones for $50 each side that are supposedly 15% thicker steel Drag Specialties Saddlebag Rail Support Brackets - DS-SADDLEBAG-RAIL-BRACKETS - Phat Performance Parts

Anyone here have a similar problem, if so, what were your solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 07:12 PM

I was breaking mine with quite regularity, both sides until I came across the E-Bay stainless repair things. They did not fit real well but I managed to install them and have not had a problem since.
mcnphotog likes this.

Regards,

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 AM

Mine broke in the same location about a month and a half ago. Took it off and down to a welder friend of mine, she's been on since and I've had no problems and I don't baby the bike. You should be able to get it welded for about 10-15 bucks.
mcnphotog likes this.

Ex Seabee "Can Do"

95" Big Bore
V & H V02 Drak Intake
48mm Delphi Throttle Body
SE Race Tuner
SE-204 Cams (highway passing with ease)
SE Cam Plate & Hydraulic Tensioners
Fueling High Volume Oil Pump
HD Oil Cooler
AIM-Tamachi Variable Pressure Clutch
SE 6 Speed Tranny (Baker true overdrive)
Rinehart Classic True Duals
Progressive 440 Series 12" Shocks
Heritage Handlebars
Kuryakyn Panacea System

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Geez, almost to the day. I noticed that I had another broken again last night. I wound up buying a new one from Harley last year and replaced it. Noticed the same one broke last night. Just ordered the Drag Specialties one from ebay. I'll have two broken ones now, will take them to a muffler shop and see if they can be welded.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 AM
Banned

I went with one that fits inside the rear fender and gets rid of the back bumper.
Before and after
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160526_082123.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	484386   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20160526_082124.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	725.0 KB
ID:	484394  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I went with one that fits inside the rear fender and gets rid of the back bumper.
Before and after
Your support bracket seems to be unbroken but what did brake was a bumper bracket (?). That part on mine bolts inside the fender too and attaches to the support brackets.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

oh yeah. tiny little pictures on my phone.

same function, different bike. with that piece broken, the bag was clanging over bumps.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnphotog View Post
Geez, almost to the day. I noticed that I had another broken again last night. I wound up buying a new one from Harley last year and replaced it. Noticed the same one broke last night. Just ordered the Drag Specialties one from ebay. I'll have two broken ones now, will take them to a muffler shop and see if they can be welded.
After having mine broken a couple of times I got smart and had them welded. No problem since and it has been a couple of years now.
The two bag brackets and the cross over one inside the fender broke on me at various times. Never found the real reason but welding at the stress points fixed the issue.
mcnphotog likes this.

Regards,

John
Everything is JMHO. Accuracy is not assured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
The more I know about people the better I like my dog. -
2007 VRSCX 0461 / 1400
2003 VRSCA Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Road King Classic
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
While waiting for the new one to arrive I took one of the old broken ones to the local muffler shop to have it welded. The weld looks good but I don't think they put it on exactly straight. I suspect it won't line up properly if at all and will likely break if/when tightened. It was worth a shot though. I'll have one more when I take the current one off that I may epoxy with JB Weld first to insure its in place and then take it somewhere else for welding.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Drag Specialties bracket arrived today and as advertised the steel is thicker. Its not bad looking and all the holes line up though it's not quite as squared as the HD one. The tab at the bottom which always breaks has an indent in the crease also which may give it some stability. The clip nut I had though had difficulty fitting into the slot because of the thicker steel but that is really a not issue since once its bolted the clips don't really serve a purpose. I'll put it on this week and see how I like it and will probably get the other welded, correctly as a backup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode