Harley Davidson Forums banner

Fuel Smell

18K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  loubob 
#1 ·
The last topic should not have been sent, sorry for the confusion. I ride a 2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic which currently has 8,000 miles. This bike is always stored in my garage when not in use. My last few rides were approximately 2 hours in duration. After each ride I place the bike on it's center stand in the garage and close the overhead door. Now when I go back into the garage after the bike has sit for a few minutes there is a high concentration of gasoline smell in the garage. There is no evidence of any leaking fuel coming from the bike, the smell will linger for hours, then dissipate. This has only occurred in the last couple of months of riding. Has anyone experienced this situation or have any ideas what could be causing this smell.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Could be a number of things. Slightly rich condition, bad gas cap. Although if you google this issue, it seems to be normal. Everything I could find points to it being normal. I have heard... and don't quote me on this... that California bikes have a charcoal canister that negates this. My thoughts: It's a vehicle that burns gasoline to run, it might smell like gas when it gets hot and to me that's normal.

-Rohan

#4 ·
When you park the bike after a ride with only a little fuel left in the tank it heats up pretty good from the engine and the pressure vents a tad. That has been my experience does not do it with a full tank.
Oh and Steelers suck by the way.......

#9 ·
Raiders fans have always been obnoxious. Don't take it personal Steelerfan.

I have also had this on my 13 Roadglide. I don't remember it on my 12 Road King. I don't get it if I let the bike sit outside for 5 or 10 Min then start it and pull into garage.

If that's a pain, you might try idling in the drive for one or two minutes and then pull in. Let us know if you find out anything.

#5 ·
Put a dryer vent in the garage. I read somewhere it removes moisture. It may remove the fuel smell too.

I couldn't resist, sorry
………

2007 ElectraGlide Standard
True Duels, Stretched bags, Wide White Walls, Reach Seat, Lowered shocks, 3" Windshield, Windshield bag, 5" Extended hwy pegs, Lowers with glove boxes, Quick release removable King tourpack, Diamond plate floorboards, Saddlebag lid covers, Pac-audio integrated audio controls, Kenwood CD Player with front and rear usb inputs.
66,000 smiles and counting!

#7 ·
My Road King does this too. After a ride I have to let it sit outside for a few to 30 minutes. Dealer says this is normal since I'm new to HD I don't know if this is BS or not. Rode metrics for decades and never had this happen. I don't like smelling gas this strong in a enclosed garage. Hope someone here figures this out

2013 FLHRC

#8 ·
California bikes do have a charcoal canister that the gas tank
vents into when the engine is turned off. Once you start up the
engine, a valve activates and and the fumes that have collected in the
charcoal canister are sucked into the intake, and burned in
the engine.

#16 ·
Of course I am right........I have tested this over and over again.

#12 ·
My Ultra does the same thing. Usually this time of year when it's eleventy-five degrees out in the mid-afternoon.

#19 ·
Ok THAT was funny,

2014 Ultra Exactly the same, After I pull it into my garage I put a big a$$ fan on one side of it, put it on high go get em and leave the side door open to get rid of the heat for about 10-15 minutes and it really helps with that. Blown foam insulation really traps heat so this helps keep the garage cooler too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.