Fixed cruise control and check engine light problem - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Fixed cruise control and check engine light problem

Another post on cruise control and check engine light problem but this had a good outcome on my backyard mechanic checkout ability.

2008 Ultra Classic
Symptoms include:

1) Intermittent check engine light
2) Cruise control not engaging

In the field operation with check engine light on showed the cruise control would engage after holding the set switch for a long time in set mode. When engagement observed check engine light would go out. Engagement would last various lengths of time from a few minutes to much longer periods of time. But would always drop out on its own. There seemed to be a correlation between the check engine light and the cruise control operation. Suspect an electrical problem.

Actions taken:

1) Researched Forums and learned there are many symptoms, fixes, guesses, other things to try for troubleshooting cruise control problems and check engine light "on" conditions. Didn't find an exact symptom or fix posting for this situation.

2) Performed the check switches post instructions which was very valuable and gave a baseline place to start troubleshooting.
Repeated here for convenience:

Easiest way to check all dropout functions of your cruise control.

1. bike off, run/stop to run
2. push set/resume to set and hold.
3 with cruise on/off switch to on, turn on bike
4. cruise indicator light should be green, release set switch, light should turn red.
5. push to resume and release, light should turn green then red
6. push throttle closed and release, light should turn green then red
7. push rear brake pedal and release, light should turn green then red
8. pull front brake lever, light should turn green then red
9. on models with a clutch/neutral starter lockout, pull clutch lever, light should turn green then red

whichever switch does not turn the light green, is your bad one.

if light will not turn green at all and you have followed ALL directions and tried multiple times, your set/resume switch is bad.

If light stays green even after releasing set switch, one of the dropout switches is stuck closed, usually the roll off throttle switch. unplug this and try again.

make sure brake light will not turn on without using brakes (wobbly brake lever, stuck rear brake light switch etc.)

Happy hunting!!

P.S. this is really the easiest way to troubleshoot cruise control!!!!

3) Since all switches checked out good - gave up on trying and took bike to dealer to get fixed.

4) Dealer couldn't find anything wrong on a quick check of codes, etc., and said he would research it and get back with me. Nice thing is he didn't charge me for the checkout.

5) Next steps, took seat off and disconnected every connector I could see and sprayed with CRC electronics cleaner. Couldn't get the ECM disconnected and just swung the lever over on that big connector to what I though would allow me to disconnect that connector. Couldn't pull it apart but sprayed it anyway. Then took headlight off and reached up in the fairing area and shook the cables and connectors and inspected what I could see for any wires that may look frayed or rubbing away insulation. Everything looked great so just shook it all up again reassembled headlight and put seat back on.

5) Cruise control now works like it use to and no check engine light staying on anymore.

6) Back to loving my ride again.
08B/BUltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

A new sticky for the electrical section?
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote