Touring models and death wobble?? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Touring models and death wobble??

I'm a newbie, so forgive me if this has been discussed in other threads. A co-worker sent me this link. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Some Harley Motorcycles Plagued By 'Death Wobble' - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have an 04 and have never experienced this. In fact, I think my RG tracks beautifully. Can't speak for the new frames though.
Stash905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. MojoRisen

I have an 09 FLTR and never experienced anything like what is mentioned in the article.
In fact this is the best bike I have ever owned. Tracks straight and handles corners wonderfully.
Maybe the poeple who have had problems are not taking care of thier bike. Checking tire pressure and a quick inspection prior to every ride can save alot of money and maybe a life. My

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~~James D. Miles

2009 - Road Glide

US NAVY - CPO Retired
P3fltEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Have experienced the wobble and tankslapper on every motorcycle I ever owned. Most not Harleys. It is ALWAYS due to low tire pressure, loose spokes, incorrect steering head bearing tension, worn bushings, and laundry list of causes. Millions of Harleys are made, a few are not serviced properly. Those few have problems. News makes up a bullsht story. I saw it on the news, it must be true. Dee, Da, Deeee Did you know Harleys leak oil? Mine has never leaked a drop, something must be wrong with it! Harleys also break down all the time. Again something must be wrong with mine, in 8 years and 30,000 miles my bike has NEVER broke down. Harleys fall apart, again, something must be wrong with mine. Rant over, look out the sky is falling.......................
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
I've been through it on my Honda interceptor.....never on my E-G...
and i've had it very close to 100 mph......

I did notice that Beemer was mentioned in that article......
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Type. A. Personality

I have had the wobble, It was the same as riding in a rut just lasted longer. It's just like anything, don't freak out and do the wrong thing.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

If there was any truth to that story wouldn't most of us crashed already? The sun is back out. Have to push my space ship out of the garage to recharge it!
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Semper Fi

I have had the wobble at high speed on my 08 ultra Classic and it does get the heart rate up there. I hit a pothole in the rain (probably running too fast for the conditions) and assumed that striking the PH was the culprit. I rode it out and the bike straightened up and came out of it. The back end did do a nice "I'm showing you who the boss is come-around" but as someone said, you just have to ride it out and try not to freak out.

I must admit, I did expect to go down while I was trying to get it under control. The bike came out of it on it's own, I only had to hang on and not do something stupid!

P.S. I've been riding for 48 years (mostly Harleys) and this was the first and only time it has happened to me. As someone said, I would never say never.

Last edited by scootertrash; 05-23-2011 at 09:25 PM.
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
No wobbles, no worries.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mississippi Cajun

On my 3rd Harley and never had a wobble on any of them...but I have had a few wobbles leaving a few assorted bars over the years.