harley nav system, do you use it? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

harley nav system, do you use it?

i have a 2010 limited with the nav system built into the radio. i have never seen anyone with the nav system use it. they all have gps`s attached is it that expensive? one guy told me the nav system is very generic, but he didnt go into detail. i`d like to hear from someone who does use thiers.
winksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I second that thought. I've been looking into a GPS, but why do that if the one in the bike is good? Anyone???
WI Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
bud

I-pod port ??

Hi , I've had sereral new ultras an never used a GPS . I think from what I understand is you have to bolt a GPS to your handle bars that you purchase from harley or Best Buy ,exc. an plug into your port hole on the right corner of your factory radio to control your GPS from your handle bars factory controls riding down the road listening to comands from your factory Harley speakers. My Thoughts . Bud 11th Calv. TeT 1968 Fire base Harry
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not too sure how the Harley GPS works. I just use my Garmin 775T, ram mount to the handle bars and then plug it into my aux on the stereo. I can use the SD card for some music and the directions come through the speakers.....if it rains, the garmin gets covered with a zip lock.
Deck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
09 Ultra Classic

I was going to get the GPS on my ultra when I bought it. My salesman actually told me not to waste the $800 it costs because the screen is too small to see. I have seen one bike with the built iin GPS and I don't think it's worth the money. I have a ram mount for my TomTom and I cliip it in and plug it in the aux and away I go. As mentioned above, you can cover it with a zip lock bag to keep it dry. I get music via the SD card and I can see the screen most of the time, but voice directions work well. My two cents.
Wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garmin NUVI 2450 and homemade mount, works great. Used a 3/4" knob with 1/4-20 thread insert from hardware store for ball, had to sand it down to 17mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPS Mount 001.jpg (25.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg GPS Mount 002.jpg (64.2 KB, 31 views)
Deweys Heads
Baker DD6
Sugarfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noel

Garage
I use the built in unit on my 2007 Ultra, works well enough for me, one thing you have to remember is that it's more functional as an audible turn by turn system the graphics are basic and really should not be your focus or concern while in motion on a bike (or car for that matter).

The unit is fully integrated with the audio system, and cuts off the music for instructions, the antenna is in the fairing, the unit is weather tolerant, after 4+ years in various weather conditions it's still working great!
Best 60': 1.393

TaxmanHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfree View Post
Garmin NUVI 2450 and homemade mount, works great. Used a 3/4" knob with 1/4-20 thread insert from hardware store for ball, had to sand it down to 17mm
Home made mount looks better than 90% of mounts on the market.
Are you willing to make and sell them?
Uncle Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

For those of you that run with GPS's?
Can you really read the map in bright daylight?
Uncle Fester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Yes.