Fuel Filter? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Filter?

Hi all! I havent posted in here in a while but I need some help. I have a '04 RK classic and in the last two weekends it has been running rough and doing a lot a spitting and sputtering. It is almost been running like I have moisture in the tank or bad gas. At a constant speed while holding the trottle at a contant RPM it spits and sputters and occasionally get a blast of air coming out of the air filter. When I give it trottle it runs fine with no sputtering but I feel like the engine is lagging and not getting the power I should have. I tried running Seafoam though it to try to see if that would help and had no luck. I am so frustrated!!! Does this sound like the fuel filter needs to be changed? Any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Carb or fuel infected ? Could be intake seals, spray WD40 around the intake to see if idle changes. What do the plugs look like?
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

It is fuel injected! The plugs look fine, maybe a little lean in the rear cylinder. This happened last season as well and I put the bike on a Dyno. Everything looked good and all they did was just adjust the fuel to air a little but no issues! I have a power commander and a Stage 1 download.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Check hose inside the tank, could be rubbing a hole in itself. Any codes stored? Go to the ELECTRICAL section and read the sticky on how to check for codes.
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe poor fuel delivery (dirty filter or leak in a pressure line) will show up first when the engine demands the most fuel. It will stumble when accelerating or climbing a hill and run pretty well when less fuel is needed, as in steady speed cruise. Since you are having trouble at light load, I would suspect a sensor going bad and throwing off the light load mixture or timing. I have experience (and a manual) only for an 08 Road King so I can't help you with the specifics on your scooter but I suspect something other than a fuel system problem for you. Pulling whatever codes you can get is the best place to start.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check your fuel pressure, should be about 58 psi. If it cannot maintain at least 50 psi you have either a plugged filter, bad pressure regulator, fuel pump going bad, or as badinfluence said a hole rubbed though the hose that is inside the tank. If fuel pressure is ok the items listed above are in good working order, the problem would be somewhere else.
fatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1997 View Post
It is fuel injected! The plugs look fine, maybe a little lean in the rear cylinder. This happened last season as well and I put the bike on a Dyno. Everything looked good and all they did was just adjust the fuel to air a little but no issues! I have a power commander and a Stage 1 download.
Disconnect the PC to see if the problem clears up . PCs cause symptoms from driveability issues to all out failure .
Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Can you just simpily unplug the power commander even though I have exhaust and a Arlen-Ness Big sucker air firlter? Will the bike still perform?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

You can run your engine long enough to verify if the symptom clears up . You have a stage download in the ECM so you can drive the bike long enough to verify if the PC is causing the problem or not .