Has your shift shaft stripped out yet? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM

Found three of the four levers loose ,slightly,when doing my 1000mi on my SGS. Removed added loctite tightened securely been good since. I have checked at each service. When I mentioned it to the tech at dealership he said that it was part of their fastener check during service. Good habit to check all bolts ,peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Garage
I could be wrong, but there are several talking about checking torques and such. I believe the problem that was originally asked about is the shaft that goes into the tranny. Isn't it behind the the primary? And you can't get to it unless you pull everything apart.

Mike Hutchings Broken Bow, Ok.
2016 CVO RGU
FM Stage 1 CVO Heads
Woods 777 Cams
FM Jackpot 2-1 Exhaust
Dynojet Power Vision Tuner

2012 Street Glide - Traded
2012 Fatboy Lo - Traded in
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM
old scoot coot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle50 View Post
I could be wrong, but there are several talking about checking torques and such. I believe the problem that was originally asked about is the shaft that goes into the tranny. Isn't it behind the the primary? And you can't get to it unless you pull everything apart.
no, there are the two on the heel toe shifter the front yoke on the front of the linkage shaft. on the rear of the shaft is the yoke on the shifter shaft coming out of the gear box. it's outside the gear box and behind the rear primary case. plenty of room to check torque on the bolt.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Garage
Has your shift shaft stripped out yet?

^^^This.

Use an Allen key socket with a wiggler (or u-joint) and an extension on your ratchet. Probably best to break it loose by backing off a half turn, then re-torque it down good and tight. If you just try to go tighter to begin with, friction will probably prevent you from breaking tension to tighten it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmers likes this.

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
" --Pink Floyd
** This line seems to come to mind often while I'm riding.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing." --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"And miles to go before I sleep
...and miles to go before I sleep." -- Robert Frost

If you give up drinking, you don't live longer...it just seems longer

Last edited by Silverback; 01-12-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Once the levers are nicely tightened, the ball joints at both ends of the shift rod have a tendency to fail starting at about 25,000 miles. Replacing them with heim joints (spherical rod ends, whichever name you prefer) is usually a permanent fix.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Indeed replaced mine, crap ball joints. Touch oil at each joint once a month depending on weather.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
^^^This.

Use an Allen key socket with a wiggler (or u-joint) and an extension on your ratchet. Probably best to break it loose by backing off a half turn, then re-torque it down good and tight. If you just try to go tighter to begin with, friction will probably prevent you from breaking tension to tighten it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I took mine al the way out and put a drop of thread locker on it before I torqued it.
Breeze3at likes this.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
SE255 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Dirty Member

If you strip your shift shaft then you are yanking it too hard. Keep your hands out of your pants.

Sorry I couldn't pass that one up.
tommytailspin and Jimmers like this.

If it aint broke I'll fix it.

09 EGC Black & Silver
107" FM
TW 555 Cams
Stage 2 Heads
Power Vision Tuner
Jackpot Header & Mufflers
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Stopped in at my dealer yesterday and they brought up an interesting point.....they told me that HD made that portion of the linkage (the lever that sometimes strips out) out of a slightly "softer" metal so as to make it somewhat "sacrificial". Meaning, that IF an owner has a habit of pounding down on the heel shifter, then rather than doing any damage to the transmission itself that portion of the linkage will take the hit and eventually fail to save the transmission.

Several, at the dealership pointed out that many who use a heel shifter have a tendency to really stomp on it and thus eventually cause the striping of that portion.....while others have a much "lighter" heel and never experience a failure. However, they all suggested that it's probably a good idea to wrench it snug every once in awhile, just as a precaution. They also commented that HD makes the linkage a bit more complex than needed and should consider a re-design somewhere down the road.
Breeze3at likes this.

2015 Ultra Limited Low
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM
On Probation

Took the lame ass heal shifter off first day I got the bike and keep an eye on the tightness when doing a service.
Also never slam the gears.......No problems in over 50k miles.
Breeze3at, old dogg and Jimmers like this.

Confuse a liberal.....Use facts and logic.
Jackpot Stainless Header
Rinehart 4" Muffs

I'll try to be nicer........If you try to be smarter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode