Has your shift shaft stripped out yet? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Has your shift shaft stripped out yet?

On another HD Forum I also read I found this thread. From what I read it appears to be a fairly "common issue", although it isn't brought up on this forum. So, I'm wondering how much of an issue this really is on the newer HD touring models.

It appears that the shift shaft's splines strip out (the shaft next to the primary NOT the heel/toe shift shaft). Some have suggested poor material quality and evidently both HD and many dealers are aware of this issue.

Anyway, not being much of a wrench turner myself I'm wondering if this is really a "common issue" or are the other forum's writers blowing this out of proportion, as to it's frequency?

Clicking on the following will take you to the other HD Forum and the specific thread:

Has your shifter shaft stripped yet? - Harley Davidson Forums

Thanks

2015 Ultra Limited Low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob175 View Post
On another HD Forum I also read I found this thread. From what I read it appears to be a fairly "common issue", although it isn't brought up on this forum. So, I'm wondering how much of an issue this really is on the newer HD touring models.

It appears that the shift shaft's splines strip out (the shaft next to the primary NOT the heel/toe shift shaft). Some have suggested poor material quality and evidently both HD and many dealers are aware of this issue.

Anyway, not being much of a wrench turner myself I'm wondering if this is really a "common issue" or are the other forum's writers blowing this out of proportion, as to it's frequency?

Clicking on the following will take you to the other HD Forum and the specific thread:

Has your shifter shaft stripped yet? - Harley Davidson Forums

Thanks

I have been hearing more and more about this. Seems it gives no warning and you are pretty much stranded when it happens. You would think HD would take care of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Hutchings Broken Bow, Ok.
2016 CVO RGU
FM Stage 1 CVO Heads
Woods 777 Cams
FM Jackpot 2-1 Exhaust
Dynojet Power Vision Tuner

2012 Street Glide - Traded
2012 Fatboy Lo - Traded in
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:16 PM
The Extreme Member

Garage
Mine did twice, heavy foot going around curves and had to change compensator to a Screaming Eagle version

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Proud member of the NTC (North Texas Crew)

US Army (Vet) 81/86
NTXPGR

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.

---

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 PM

Garage
I had this happen on my 84 EGC , if the lever is loose on the spline the vibration will work on it ,and thru time and use make it worse......
left me stuck in 1st gear west of Albany 150 miles from home
On my 89 I took a slice out of the heel/toe shifter pinch point with a cut off wheel & die grinder to tighten down on the spline better .....

Not good pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	096.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	551330   Click image for larger version

Name:	097.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	551338   Click image for larger version

Name:	099.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	551346  
mcnphotog likes this.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

They are not talking about the heel/toe shifter spline. They are referring to the other end of the shifter rod near the primary case. Just wanted to clarify the exact part so others will understand. Mine is all wrapped up and put away for the winter so I can't really look at mine for awhile. Maybe a trip to my dealer to check out a new one would be worth it. I can also ask service about its frequency of failure and see if there's anything I can do to prevent it.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:11 PM

Garage
Some of the cause can be attributed to the owners stomping on the lever to shift. It makes me cringe when I see some guys shift. Force isn't necessary, just a firm movement until you feel it engage. But, I do check the tightness of all my shift levers as part of maintenance intervals.

No matter what you call it, a turd still stinks.
Pete / Breeze .380
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze3at View Post
Some of the cause can be attributed to the owners stomping on the lever to shift. It makes me cringe when I see some guys shift. Force isn't necessary, just a firm movement until you feel it engage. But, I do check the tightness of all my shift levers as part of maintenance intervals.
I`m with Breeze on this one, I`ve known many guys who stomped on that heel shifter, then complained that the shift lever on the shift shaft came loose...

It does appear that an incorrect torque was specified on some bikes, which could certainly lead to a problem.

The 2016 service manual calls out the correct torque, which is a bit higher than the value specified in the service bulletin.

Get in there and check that torque, it`s a grade 8 bolt, you aren`t going to hurt it...
JLR likes this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Well, since mine is all detailed and wrapped up for the Chicago winter I'll wait til Spring before I inspect and tighten to the correct spec. But from all the posts I've read, it sure does seem to be a frequent issue on many later model HD's.

2015 Ultra Limited Low
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Stomping on that heal shifter is a main cause of the shift return spring breaking inside the trans. Expensive repair for a $buck spring !

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Lovin' every minute

Garage
If you check the torque periodically on all the levers and linkages, and press, not stomp, to change gears, you won't have this issue. The only time I approach "stomp" force is engaging 1st gear for the first time of the day.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmers likes this.

"There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, a state of bliss
" --Pink Floyd
** This line seems to come to mind often while I'm riding.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing." --Oliver Wendell Holmes

"And miles to go before I sleep
...and miles to go before I sleep." -- Robert Frost

If you give up drinking, you don't live longer...it just seems longer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode