2016 Ultra Limited Coolant Leak - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

2016 Ultra Limited Coolant Leak

While in the garage the other day, I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the floor below the right side coolant tank housing (housing mounted to the engine guard). I could see that the coolant had leaked from somewhere below/around the coolant tank, but am not sure if it's a hose, clamp, crack in the tank, etc. I have just over 3,200 miles on the Ultra and everything was fine last fall before putting it up on the motorcycle floor jack for the winter (I live in Minnesota and don't have a heated garage). I know my bike is still under warranty and I don't have to worry about spending money out of my own pocket to fix this . . . I was just curious if anyone else has experienced a coolant leak, and if so, what the issue was. Always helps to have extra information for the service department when I take the bike in. The coolant level was just below the cold level check line.

Thank You in advance for any information you have for me.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Mississippi Cajun

Since you are still under warranty, I'd bring it back to the stealer and let them worry about it.

USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! 2015 Electraglide Ultra Limited

Hey, immigrants: Learning English and assimilation to American culture is NOT a suggestion!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 PM
American

Believe it was very common on 14's.... 16's haven't heard much as this being a problem. Under warranty, let the dealer deal with it!

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Pro Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRVMN View Post
While in the garage the other day, I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the floor below the right side coolant tank housing (housing mounted to the engine guard). I could see that the coolant had leaked from somewhere below/around the coolant tank, but am not sure if it's a hose, clamp, crack in the tank, etc. I have just over 3,200 miles on the Ultra and everything was fine last fall before putting it up on the motorcycle floor jack for the winter (I live in Minnesota and don't have a heated garage). I know my bike is still under warranty and I don't have to worry about spending money out of my own pocket to fix this . . . I was just curious if anyone else has experienced a coolant leak, and if so, what the issue was. Always helps to have extra information for the service department when I take the bike in. The coolant level was just below the cold level check line.

Thank You in advance for any information you have for me.

Check on recall on the coolant tank .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
big john@dog likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:37 PM

I was told it Harley that they had a problem with the tanks from the 14 to the 16 models

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:38 PM

I would check on a recall for that particular coolant tank

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Might want to pop that screen off and take a look with a flashlight and take a picture, can't hurt to see if its something obvious, and the pic might help when you take it in. just a thought

2015 Road Glide Special
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Poser Member # 99

I wouldn't mess with it and take to the Dealer. That's what you have a Warranty for
2nd check for a recall its good having that info when you go to Dealer
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank You everyone! I did check for a recall and there were none at this point. My plan is to take it to the dealership . . . I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the same problem with their motorcycle. Even though we still have snow on the ground, I want to be ready for that first ride again. I'll keep you posted when I find out more information.

Thanks,

David

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:45 AM

Garage
See if someone has a trailer to get it in there now. Most shops are not as busy as they will be in 6-8 weeks when the snow melts and everybody starts looking for their helmets. Most shops have a sign hanging somewhere that says, 'We've been here all winter!"

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.." Robert Hunter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode