Maintenance day today - Oil, Filter and Plugs - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maintenance day today - Oil, Filter and Plugs

I bought my '14 Street Glide back in October, had right at 3,500 miles on it. The 1,000 mile service had been done, it appears that 6 quarts of SYN 3 had been put it in according to the service ticket. I've put 1,500 miles on it since so decided to change the fluids myself.

I picked up some more 20W-50 SYN 3 for the motor today with a new filter along with a quart+ of Genuine Formula+ for the primary and Belray 85W-140 Hypoid Gear Oil for the transmission on the dealer recommendation. Also put in two new spark plugs.

Here's some pics. First one is the primary drain plug. Oil was plenty dark and lots of crud on the magnet. Cleaned all that off and put a new O-ring on it. The tranny and crankcase plugs didn't have as much stuff on them. The spark plugs looked fairly decent but since the bike had been sitting a lot since new, went ahead and swapped them out per the service manual. Battery was changed last week, unexpectedly.

Found out first hand how the oil filter is kind of a pain in the ass to get the wrench in the right spot to snug it down.

I'll have the road test down tomorrow. Everything else seems to be in decent shape, will probably let the dealership do the full 10K service when that comes around.

mcnphotog and Trashman like this.

Regular guy living in an irregular world
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Trashy Member

Good job!

Mine 2015 Ultra Limited
Mustang Seat
Vance and Hines Fishtails
Painted Inner Fairing
Highway Pegs

Wives 2014 Street Glide Special
Mustang Seat
Rush Big Louie's
Detach Kit
Painted Inner Fairing
CB module
Highway pegs
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Get one of these, slips on end of filter 3/8's drive extension your good to go. $13.95 at HD or $10 at Dennis Kirk. Be alittle careful around the CPS sensor right close

Oh the Belray Hypoid lube great stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e16066044.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	576505  
6113 likes this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 PM

I have one of these funnels to help catch the oil from the oil filter when it is removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Filter Drain Funnel.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	576521  
tommytailspin and 6113 like this.

2016 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
-10" Wind Splitter Windshield
-Tour-Pak Passenger Armrests
-Harley-Davidson Rider Backrest

2016 Harley-Davidson Forty-Eight (Wife's Motorcycle)
-15" Quick Release Windshield
-Single-Sided Swingarm Bag
-Tribal Footpegs, Grips, Mirrors
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftailBilly View Post
Get one of these, slips on end of filter 3/8's drive extension your good to go. $13.95 at HD or $10 at Dennis Kirk. Be alittle careful around the CPS sensor right close

Oh the Belray Hypoid lube great stuff.

good to get a positive opinion on the Belray fluid...

I do have that filter wrench, pain in the ass though to get it to be where I wanted it to be when it was time to remove it

I would like find some more information on the Arlen Ness type filter where you don't have to fool with the rim style wrench, but rather a nut in the center. Plus those filters look wicked cool.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6113 View Post

I do have that filter wrench, pain in the ass though to get it to be where I wanted it to be when it was time to remove it

I would like find some more information on the Arlen Ness type filter where you don't have to fool with the rim style wrench, but rather a nut in the center. Plus those filters look wicked cool.

K&N oil filters have a Hex lug on the end.
dougtech and 6113 like this.

No matter what you call it, a turd still stinks.
Pete / Breeze .380
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Hit it she goes boom

Nice job on the main, you might want to consider doing all your maint. yourself, its very rewarding, you save $$ and you know its been done the way you want. I use a strap wrench for the filter never had any issues, mine has a belt that tightens with an open end wrench.
Harley Rider and 6113 like this.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."--- Elwood Blues

"What does not kill you makes you stronger..... except for bears, bears will kill you."

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"--- Some guy in a bar.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGold View Post
Nice job on the main, you might want to consider doing all your maint. yourself, its very rewarding, you save $$ and you know its been done the way you want. I use a strap wrench for the filter never had any issues, mine has a belt that tightens with an open end wrench.

I'll probably never get real involved with maintenance, for a couple of reasons...tools and training. There's too much money to tie up in tools and testing equipment for one bike, and there's a lot to be said for experience gained in working in a dealer shop and gaining their certifications.

However...

My username alludes to a Marine Corps MOS, and I do have an A&P certificate, although I know longer work in aviation. So tackling some general maintenance issues is always rewarding and I like to see what is going on with the equipment. If I wasn't past 50, I wouldn't mind going back into that line of work at a Harley shop, but they generally want a younger mind starting out, or at least some credible experience.

But next time, I'm pretty sure I'm swapping out that oil filter for something a little friendlier.

That tranny fluid swap was a good move as far as I can tell. Buttery smooth.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 PM

Nothing wrong with doing your own oil changes it's true you'll know its done right.The first oil change I did on my basketcase someone used gasket sealant on the bottom of the filter had to use a punch and couple of holes later got the filter off then a small piece scotch brite soaked in oil around and around till the base was clean and now two oil changes later and no problems
Jaxglide likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6113 View Post

It can be little tricky, I took my dremel tool and enlarged that opening, problem solved.

Tried a couple of the filters with the nut on the end, had trouble getting a socket on them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode