What will REALLY void warrenty - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

What will REALLY void warrenty

Hello folks, I'm new here and have a few questions.

I recently bought a 2017 Road glide special, and was told if I do anything to the bike it'll void the warranty on the bike. So my question is What will really void it? I really just want to black it out so powder coat all the chrome and a nice exhaust nothing too crazy...Yet

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Wayward Son

The powder coating of parts should not void any part of the mechanical warranty.

Starting with the 2017`s, pipes may be a different story.
The EPA has their nose stuck very far up the MoCo`s < If you look real close you can see them. They strongly resemble a hemorrhoid.
TexasReaper85 likes this.

People are why I love my Dog and my Harley.

You want blood? You got it!
G.F.T.D.
You`ve been, Thunder~Struck !
ATW TWF/FTW
You can have your funky world. See ya round.

I.L.M.O. ROLO
04/03/14-07/27/16
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder~Struck View Post
The powder coating of parts should not void any part of the mechanical warranty.

Starting with the 2017`s, pipes may be a different story.
The EPA has their nose stuck very far up the MoCo`s < If you look real close you can see them. They strongly resemble a hemorrhoid.
Agreed in all respects! But from what I have read on this forum, cosmetics shouldnt affect your warranty. It does sound like using HD's Screamin Eagle brand pipes and parts are the only performance ones that guarantee your warranty is safe on a 17' though. When in doubt, ask your dealer since they are the ones who are going to make it an issue or not.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Garage
I had one dealer here tell me that I could not have any other slip-ons but the SE's with my stage IV kit or it would void my warranty. The next dealer, where I ended up buying my '17 RK, said I could use whatever slip-on's I wanted, but the cans themselves wouldn't be covered under the warranty. So..... thinking what could really go wrong with a muffler other than getting scratched, which is not going to be cover by MoCo on the SE's anyhow, I opted for the RC Components 4.5". All of the rest of the stuff I added to the bike, performace wise, was SE so I could keep the whole engine and the SE kit, under a full warranty.

"Life long student at the School of Hard Knocks!"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 06:46 AM
American

Do "anything to the bike".... that's a broad brush. I've seen performance upgrades to Ultras sitting on the show room floor, brand new bikes. The tag even shows the upgrades with the dyno results. Of course these are performed by the dealer using SE parts. Believe it all comes down to emissions control by HD. As long as they are in control of this, warranty is good. Don't believe slip ones alone would void any warranty.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Pro Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:24 AM

Garage
Welcome. One thing that WILL NOT void your warranty is servicing the bike yourself, or having an independent shop do it. Dealers like to imply your warranty depends on their outrageous service prices.

Life's hard, even harder if you're stupid.
Pete / Breeze .380
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 AM

My dealer told me that changing slip on's other than SE, tuning or changing the ECU/ECM would void the warranty of 2017's.
Bill
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
My dealer told me that changing slip on's other than SE, tuning or changing the ECU/ECM would void the warranty of 2017's.
Bill
You can still use a tuner and change ECM settings, as long as you only use a SE Pro Street Tuner.

Read the last sentence in the paragraph under description. For some reason I couldnt copy & paste it but that sentence says it all.

Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner | 2017 Road King Special | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Unfortunately, it has very limited capability in order to maintain compliance with EPA regs.

Last edited by naknekpete; 04-15-2017 at 07:49 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM
The Ride of Life

Garage
Having been the service manager at a bike shop..

If you are going to deny a customer warranty service you need to have a good reason. If there is direct correlation to the failure and something the customer did (or didn't do) to the bike then yes, but "Our Policy Is...." Usually won't cut it. The shop needs to find "cause and effect" By the way, the diagnostic time is billable shop time, so you may not get it fixed and have a bill at the end. Rage? You want to see someone go into a rage...

This next part isn't going to make me too popular - but if you add an aftermarket exhaust and a power commander the bike will no longer meet emissions limits, a big thing here in the golden state. There are road side emission systems set up randomly and every time a loud piped HD goes by and it's way over the limit, you can guess where the bureaucrats are going to go with this, and we won't like it. These things move around and you don't know where they are.

Things that wont:
Servicing the bike yourself. Keep the receipts of the parts you bought. But, if your work caused the problem no.
Cosmetic things generally wont, but can if they cause the problem. Example, install a pair of Apes, then extend the switch wiring badly. Shorts out, burns wiring harness and ECU. Example of not covered. We had this. Customer got the manufacturer involved, they came out and examined the bike. Once they found the cause and effect no way. It's just common sense. Repainted the tank, painter didn't seal the tank up, lots of over spray inside. Came loose, got into the fuel injectors. Not covered.
You install new pipes and a power commander. You don't get it right and burn a valve. Not covered.
Change your own oil use a after market oil filter and weird oil Spin a cam baring. Not covered. Starter drive comes up slipping, JoJoBa Bean oil in the primary. Not covered.

You get the picture.

- BB
Silverback likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Frozen Member

I know that Caterpillar is pretty strict about their warranties too, but does accept Chevron lubes and anti-freeze that are certified Cat compatible. Can anyone say whether Mobile 1 or any of the other popular substitutes are HD certified?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode