Progressive monotubes - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Progressive monotubes

I mentioned having the monotubes installed in my bike recently in a thread I started last year when I was getting rear shocks.
I thought I'd start a new one specifically about these. I've been riding with them a bit now and I have to say I'm not 100% happy with them. They are a bit stiff for my liking and don't seem to absorb much. The bike likely handles better and takes the hits better but you pretty much notice every bump and imperfection in the road. The old system, even as dry as one was felt more comfortable. In hindsight I think I would've preferred to just have the seals replaced and fluid changed. The upside though is I don't have to do anything again with these, hoping though they'll break in a little.
Anyone with similar experiences or contrary opinions?

I have A.D.H.D.
(A Damn Harley-Davidson)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnphotog View Post
I mentioned having the monotubes installed in my bike recently in a thread I started last year when I was getting rear shocks.
I thought I'd start a new one specifically about these. I've been riding with them a bit now and I have to say I'm not 100% happy with them. They are a bit stiff for my liking and don't seem to absorb much. The bike likely handles better and takes the hits better but you pretty much notice every bump and imperfection in the road. The old system, even as dry as one was felt more comfortable. In hindsight I think I would've preferred to just have the seals replaced and fluid changed. The upside though is I don't have to do anything again with these, hoping though they'll break in a little.
I put (actually it was my indie who did it) them on my '13 RGC couple of years ago, also the HD adj. rear shocks and I set the rears for (approximately) the weight of me solo with gear packed on even though it is usually just me and no gear. The first thing I noticed after getting the monotubes was the front end dive when you applied front brake just about disappeared altogether. And the next thing I noticed was with the monotubes and the HD adj. rear shocks was how much better the bike tracked through the twisties. I didn't notice the ride being too stiff at all. But...., that may be just personal preference as I have always favored heavier shocks on all my cages.

And my indie, who is HD certified and has been building/repairing/servicing/riding/etc. Harleys for many, many years keeps telling me my bike handles beautifully and better than just about any bike he has ever ridden.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 AM

I have to agree with joe I have them and jri rears on my 05 s/g with a 23 inch front no nose diving and handles like it's on rails in the Colorado mountains

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:29 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
I've had complaints from customers similar to yours after installing the Progressives ! Stiff ride especially if the rear shocks are installed too. I had one guy sell his bike rather than pay to have everything switched back to stock ! Best thing is to not install the shims, that's the softest setting on the front.
That is a performance suspension upgrade ! Key word "performance", something is always sacrificed for more performance.
mcnphotog likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Right, they feel like they definitely perform better and on the twisty roads that's great. I notice the discomfort more though going straight and on the highway. Feels a tad jumpy. I do have progressives in the rear, got sold on them after they were installed which is why I went with Progressive in the front.

I have A.D.H.D.
(A Damn Harley-Davidson)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 AM
أنا كافر

Garage
I lowered my front end by ~4" and was always bottoming out before, even when gently leaving a driveway.

Not so now with the Monotubes.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
I still think the Touring models with the front and rear air ride rode the best all around. You could adjust for soft or stiff depending on how you wanted it. Those models only needed the suspension stabilyzer that connects the trans to the frame so the bike isn't squirrely cornering. Rubber engine mounts cause the squirrely feeling !

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM

I have a 2013 Roadglide and put in monotubes and progressive 944's in the back. I am very satisfied with the ride, I've ridden 20,000 miles since the upgrade.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 AM
On the loose

I'm looking to do something different on the front , after researching a bit this guy seems to know his stuff. He's an Ohlin repair / dealer shop. Says he can build me cartriges from Ohlin components with custom valveing that perform better than Online off the shelf . He was reasonable too.

Motorcyclemetal.com

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

2001 Deuce , traded.

2014 Street Glide with stuff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I am very satisfied with my Progressive 444 shocks but I refrain from the monotubes. As one of their merits is to reduce front end dive, I have been presuming that they would induce a firmer ride because I am at a loss to understand how front end dive can be reduced without slowing down the vertical movement of the wheel at a bump (a.k.a. stiffening the front end); unless another front-end geometry (an anti-dive system like, say, the BMW Telelever) is used. Your findings seem to substantiate my concern about the monotubes. IMHO, the stock front setup seems to be a good compromise between comfort and front-end dive.
mcnphotog likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode