Rear Touring Shocks - Help - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
"MacHine"

Rear Touring Shocks - Help

I really need to look into better shocks for the rear of my FLHR. I am a heavy, short guy 5'5". When I purchased my 09 FLHR, I had the ProfileŽ Low Touring shocks installed, which lowered the back end about 3/4". Problem is that I continue to bottom out despite trying 30-40 PSI.

Is there a better shock system that would eliminate the bottoming out, still lower the bike 3/4 from stock and maintain the handling of the bike? I understand that Harley came out with a new shock, Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Rear Shocks.

Also, was on a ride with a very experienced rider and he suggested looking into an Air Ride system.

I would appreciate opinions from other riders, as I am reluctant to discuss with dealers or sales people, although I would seek some advice. Riders are the best test/recommendations when it comes to such an important piece of equipment.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffdag; 08-30-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Jeffdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shocks

Just as an FYI, I bought a 2011 FLTRX and took it to Sturgis to break in. Rode with the girlfriend and was rattling her teeth bottoming out. Turns out when we got back the shocks had a leak and were carrying no air at all. She wasn't happy but the service guys got a good laugh. Check your system for leaks.
LOROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
"MacHine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOROAD View Post
Just as an FYI, I bought a 2011 FLTRX and took it to Sturgis to break in. Rode with the girlfriend and was rattling her teeth bottoming out. Turns out when we got back the shocks had a leak and were carrying no air at all. She wasn't happy but the service guys got a good laugh. Check your system for leaks.
I have checked, using the HD pump and gauge. Since I have tried increasing the PSI numerous times, there is always air in the shock the next day.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

what is the max amount of air you can put in the shocks? I have a 06 FLHRI and the max is 35 psi but on later models the max was raised to 60 psi, it just might need more air maybe start around 50ish if the max is 60
Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
I changed my FLTRX shocks over to the new HD Premium ones.
The ride is much better (firmer) and the ride height remained the same.
The bike definitely better planted and takes to the twisties better.
When I first put the shocks on I tried to adjust the rear sag and could not get very much movement with the shock settings in the softest position.
The first couple of rides, the suspension would bottom out.
You need to forget about setting the initial sag settings like on most bikes and crank them up a couple of good turns.
After getting them set up the ride is firm but no more bottoming out.
And I don't have to carry around that stupid little air pump.

I think HD has come out with some premium shocks for the non lowered touring bikes. That's the way I would go if I could do it all over again.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
"MacHine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel6290 View Post
what is the max amount of air you can put in the shocks? I have a 06 FLHRI and the max is 35 psi but on later models the max was raised to 60 psi, it just might need more air maybe start around 50ish if the max is 60
My understanding is that you should not put in over 50 PSI. I am reluctant to try anything higher than 45.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffdag View Post
My understanding is that you should not put in over 50 PSI. I am reluctant to try anything higher than 45.
Check your MOM for specs, but I don't think that taking the shocks to the max recommended psi would be a problem.
swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
"MacHine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve View Post
Check your MOM for specs, but I don't think that taking the shocks to the max recommended psi would be a problem.
Max is 50 psi - and I will give it a try. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
"MacHine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettster View Post
I changed my FLTRX shocks over to the new HD Premium ones.
The ride is much better (firmer) and the ride height remained the same.
The bike definitely better planted and takes to the twisties better.
When I first put the shocks on I tried to adjust the rear sag and could not get very much movement with the shock settings in the softest position.
The first couple of rides, the suspension would bottom out.
You need to forget about setting the initial sag settings like on most bikes and crank them up a couple of good turns.
After getting them set up the ride is firm but no more bottoming out.
And I don't have to carry around that stupid little air pump.

I think HD has come out with some premium shocks for the non lowered touring bikes. That's the way I would go if I could do it all over again.
The only issue with these new shocks, for me, is that they do not lower the bike. Otherwise they sound like a good solution.

Progressive makes the 940 ultra touring shock and I am hoping to get some additional feedback. That shock lowers the rear 1"

Harley Suspension :: Harley Davidson Fork :: Progressive Suspension

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffdag View Post
The only issue with these new shocks, for me, is that they do not lower the bike. Otherwise they sound like a good solution.

Progressive makes the 940 ultra touring shock and I am hoping to get some additional feedback. That shock lowers the rear 1"

Harley Suspension :: Harley Davidson Fork :: Progressive Suspension

Thanks!
The ones on my bike are the same as the shocks on a Street Glide.
They should be 1" lower than your stock FLHR shocks.
Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.
Let us know what you end up with. Progressive is a great company. I'm sure they can figure something out for you.

I am interested because I would like to raise mine back up to stock RoadGlide height to get back the 1" travel.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote