Hard bag theft prevention - Page 16 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #151 (permalink)

You do have a point, worrying just gives you stress. Here's a product that is on E-bay, bids start at $9.99. With 2 days left on bid. Prob go for $ 20? Let you all know. Think ill head out and get some parts this weekend just for something to do. ImageUploadedByMO Free1353540326.175371.jpg
Got the parts today, Friday, thanks for the post, I couldn't find the wheel screw. A little deterrence and maybe the murther will move on to another bike, I feel a little better now that the springs are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Upchuck; 11-23-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck View Post
You do have a point, worrying just gives you stress. Here's a product that is on E-bay, bids start at $9.99. With 2 days left on bid. Prob go for $ 20? Let you all know. Think ill head out and get some parts this weekend just for something to do. Attachment 34491

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
You can buy this kit at Home Depot for about $15.00. Crown Bolt,(Mgf) Speed Nut 5/16-18 (#43228) 4 req. Cap Screw Button Socket
5/16 x 1 Dr# 406 Had a little finding them, but they are there. They work great. Dave
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #153 (permalink)

I went to ACE Hardware a few days ago and bought 4 5/16 -18 u-shaped clip nuts, 4 5/16-18x1.25 SS hex button head bolts. I reused the flat washers from the OEM dsuz fasteners. Total cost was ~$6. Took 15 minutes of time to remove the bags, remove the dsuz fasteners, install the clip nuts and the saddlebags. put a dab of blue Loctite on the SS bolts before inserting them. It may not be theft PROOF (few things are), but I feel it's theft RESISTANT.

Phoenix, AZ
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[psychedelic purple/vivid black]
phx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #154 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

Whenever one of my buddys gets a bagger I give em a set of speed nuts/allen bolts from home depot. So far I've hooked up 3 buddys with em, cheap insurance if u ask me!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #155 (permalink)

Home Depot will be my first stop on my way home today. Just going to be a little bit of a pain checking the tire pressure but it I guess better than riding home from a rally without your bags. I imagine that's where a lot of this happens.
fat99boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #156 (permalink)

good info, thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #157 (permalink)

Garage
I recently changed out my saddlebag hex bolts for thumbscrews. There's two kinds to choose from, knurled round head, or flat head. No tools needed, and I can get them plenty tight with my fingers. Cost was less than $3 for 4 @ Lowes.

Pete / Breeze .380
Breeze3at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #158 (permalink)

Hi Guys, this is my 1st post here.

I did this "Ace hardware" mod a couple of years ago. Definitely piece of mind when you're on the road and your bike is out in a hotel parking lot!

Glasspilot
2006 FLHTCUI
Glasspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogitybob View Post
For me I will stick with stock Someone gets bags so be it, that while it would piss me off is what insurance is for .
I usualy leave nothing in my bags overnite and don't lock them . Once about ten years ago while a freind and i were traveling we came out in morning and found his locked empty tourpak busted open and while mine was opened and latches left undone no damage was done to my tourpak. Whats the sense of keeping bags on bike if they are toreup and must be replaced anyway
That's a good point. I'm not sure it's worth securing to my bike if the thiefs going to get mad and just kick my bike over. I rather give up whatever I got... instead of dealing with more problems down the line.

That being said.. I do like the idea of the hex bolts.. I'm definitely going to change over to that. Also for people who want to keep their bags locked up and what not, I recently discovered Motorcycle Saddlebags & Luggage Expert | Viking Motorcycle Bags who is the only manufactuer who makes bags with locks under $200. if anyone has epxerience with them... speak up ! More specifically I'm looking at the 2 strap locking sadlebags! Let me know what ya think of them! http://www.vikingbags.com/harley-softail-motorcycle-saddlebags.htm
hellboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #160 (permalink)

Got these and they work great same as Brukus but not as costly + free shipping baggerSTDs

AMA LIFE MEMBER 355249
ALUCARD is offline   Reply With Quote