Screamin eagle tuners - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Screamin eagle tuners

What is the difference between street tunner and a pro super tuner by screamin eagle. And why pick one over the other. Have a 2011 road king classic. Vance& Hines headers and rhinehart slip on
laabdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
i believe the strret tuner is nothing more than the canned stg 1 & stg 2 downloads and stay within EPA regs. the race tuner doesnt follow the EPA regs and with the auto tune software fine tuning and adjustments can be made. if im way off on this someone else will chime in and correct me.but thats my understanding.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdv1 View Post
i believe the strret tuner is nothing more than the canned stg 1 & stg 2 downloads and stay within EPA regs. the race tuner doesnt follow the EPA regs and with the auto tune software fine tuning and adjustments can be made. if im way off on this someone else will chime in and correct me.but thats my understanding.
Nope you are correct. I have the race tuner and there are no EPA limits on it and it will let your bike be tuned like it needs to be to run right and with enough fuel. Go with the super tuner.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
bsherrin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Let me see if I have this straight. With the SE Super Tuner you tune the HD ECM without adding a new module like a PC V? How do you know when you have it right? Is there some value at a given rpm that you tune to for best performance and fuel economy?
steve92106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
sorry
Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
you tune for a specific air/fuel ratio, tweeking a little here/there for the best power/milage. you can change a/f mixture settings in the bottom/mid/top rpm ranges. i cant remember exactly what the a/f # % are.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
The PC V is also a tuner. If you used that you wouldn't need either Screaming Eagle tuner. There are too many limits with the SE tuners. Check out the PV next generation!!!! The DynoJet PowerVision. Far Far better.
'08 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded)
'09 Softail Custom Traded 10/13
'09 Springer CVO Screaming Eagle
'10 CVO Screaming Eagle Softail Custom Convertible
'11 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded for CVO)
'07 Thunder Mountain Chopper (w/ 103 HD Screaming Eagle) Traded 10/13
09 Softail C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

One of the local dealers was having a unveiling today for the new? Softail Slim and the new? Sportster 72. And they were also having a "high performance"seminar were they were pushing the SE race tuner (this is what they called it). The race tuner would set custom maps through out the RPM range from idle to red line which sounds really cool and the module is specific to that motorcycle. Its like a permanent map for that bike. So if you want to upgrade cams or cubes later you can without buying another download. But the draw back is that you need to have the bike on the dyno to set the performance. I got a quote to do the work. That would include a SE heavy breather, a race tuner and the dyno time of $1405.00 plus tax. This price does not included pipes which I would install myself. On the way home I stopped at another dealer and inquired about a Heavy breather install and a Stage 1 download and I would install the pipes. The quote was $539.98 plus tax. Now is the difference in performance worth $850.00?
2004 FXST
2010 FLHX
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.
Kenny40S&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny40S&W View Post
One of the local dealers was having a unveiling today for the new? Softail Slim and the new? Sportster 72. And they were also having a "high performance"seminar were they were pushing the SE race tuner (this is what they called it). The race tuner would set custom maps through out the RPM range from idle to red line which sounds really cool and the module is specific to that motorcycle. Its like a permanent map for that bike. So if you want to upgrade cams or cubes later you can without buying another download. But the draw back is that you need to have the bike on the dyno to set the performance. I got a quote to do the work. That would include a SE heavy breather, a race tuner and the dyno time of $1405.00 plus tax. This price does not included pipes which I would install myself. On the way home I stopped at another dealer and inquired about a Heavy breather install and a Stage 1 download and I would install the pipes. The quote was $539.98 plus tax. Now is the difference in performance worth $850.00?
One of my good friends is a lead mechanic at my hd dealer and I have learned a ton from him. I asked myself the same question. My friend said that the stage 1 download does not give the bike near enough fuel if you changing the breather and pipes. Those downloads are regulated by the EPA and will have your bike running to lean. This is why I went with the race tuner because there are no limits. They can tune your bike with whatever it needs to run right. I also didnt have to dyno my bike. If there is a tech there at your dealer with enough experience, they should be able to tune your bike with out the dyno and it only costs an hour of shop labor. My friend has done so many dynos and tunes that he knew where to tune my bike to get it very close to where the dyno would have it and I didnt buy it for racing so that is close enough for me. This is exactly what I did and my bike runs like a striped ass ape and I wouldn't change anything. I have a chrome spike intake, 4" Rc components Excalibur slip ons, race tuner, and gutted the cat out of my factory head pipe. Hope this helps

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
bsherrin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just picked up my Street Glide installed the Vance & Hines headers, Vance & Hines crossover pipe and 4" inch Rinhart dual mufflers also purchased the screaming eagle pro tuner. also the stage 1 air filter upgrade with K&N filter. 1760.00 parts and 670.00 labor which includes the dyno tune after the 1000 miles. The tech told me tuner would give the motor all the air fuel ratio to get the most torque and HP. Also would be able to upgrade cams, and heads cubic inch and not have to by another tuner. So I hope I was not Bull S@#$$ on his claim about the tuner.
carlos123 is offline   Reply With Quote