HDPDplus iPod controller issues - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rookie for life

HDPDplus iPod controller issues

I installed one of these on my 2012 EG a few weeks ago.

Old thread here

I've noticed a peculiar glitch. Any time I connect the iPod the HDPD+ will only cycle through playlists - not through individual songs within the playlists as its supposed to do.

If I enter the radio diagnostics, select "software", then exit, the HDPD+ operates normally... until I disconnect/reconnect the iPod. It then starts glitching all over again.

My buds '10 RG is doing the same exact thing.

I've been in communication with Mark at OTMT and he's very cordial, but seems stumped - says he never saw this before. He's in touch with the programmers and trying to duplicate the problem.

Anyone out there seeing this?

2004 FLHTCI, Solid Blue - sold
1998 FLHTCI, Laser Red Pearl - traded
1996 FXDL, black/violet teal - traded
1992 XLCH1200, black - sold

Last edited by Rockhead261; 02-10-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Rockhead261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I haven't seen that problem yet, but whenever i plug my iPhone in and radio is on FM, I completely lose all reception, when i unplug it, the radio comes in perfect again. Have you noticed that with yours? Also does your iPod or iPhone continue to charge even with the bike off?
dimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Collision Godfather

I'll check on this today too. dimit has a few issues too. I'll report back later today.

Rockhead, are you using a Iphone or Ipod? If Ipod, is it a older one?

Harley Forum Meet and Greet Video 2013

http://youtu.be/yW0nzq94R1Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0skr19KrE4
2stangs8689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rookie for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimit View Post
I haven't seen that problem yet, but whenever i plug my iPhone in and radio is on FM, I completely lose all reception, when i unplug it, the radio comes in perfect again. Have you noticed that with yours?
Can't say, I'm not using an iPhone.

Quote:
Also does your iPod or iPhone continue to charge even with the bike off?
The iPod goes to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity. I haven't noticed if it continues to charge, but I don't think it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stangs8689 View Post
Rockhead, are you using a Iphone or Ipod? If Ipod, is it a older one?
I'm using a 4th Gen Nano on the bike. I experiemented with a 2nd Gen 30gig harddrive iPod and noticed I got some disc noise through the system when changing tracks. I haven't tried using FM with the disc iPod, but I didn't notice any reception issues with the Nano.

I need to update this thread with regard to my original post. I contacted the guys at OnTheMove Technology a few weeks ago with regard to the problem I was having. It turns out very few people were having the same problem, but it was not just me. That was the good news. The bad news was that OnTheMove could not duplicate the problem with their equipment.

After a few emails and phone conversations they bent over backwards to identify and correct the condition. I spoke to/texted the programmer a bunch of times. I tested 4 software revisions and shot video of them in action so they could see what was going on. Just yesterday I received a new unit with updated software (V. 1.3.3) that has knocked out the problem I was having.

One thing I learned (and expressed to them) was that the HDPD+ seems to prefer to initialize WITHOUT an iPod attached. That is, power it up before connecting the iPod, THEN connect it. You can leave the iPod connected as long as you want after that - power cycling the radio has no effect - but if you disconnect/change the iPod, power the HDPD+ up again WITHOUT the iPod, then connect it.

The bottom line - my problem has been fixed thanks to the relentless efforts of the guys at OnTheMove.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Collision Godfather

I haven't seen any of the problems you were Rockhead, but glad you have it worked out.

I did notice a little static on FM with the Iphone connected, nothing with the Ipod tho.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rookie for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimit View Post
whenever i plug my iPhone in and radio is on FM, I completely lose all reception, when i unplug it, the radio comes in perfect again.
I use a 4th Gen Nano. I plugged it in and noticed an increase in static on a fringe station, but the local station continued to come in fine.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rookie for life

OK, I spoke too soon.

I just got back from a local ride - the first one with the HDPD+ installed - and there is still a glitch occurring with it. In sort, I ask it to go to the next song and it goes to the next playlist. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's a real PITA. I already emailed the guys and am awaiting their response. I really don't want to spend double the money (literally) for the HD branded unit....

Old 03-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
ok heres my question is having problems with this unit worth the extra $$ saved ? i can order the HD interface on line for right around $460. if i dont want it in saddlebag then im looking at $353. id rather spend a few extra $$ to have it work right because i know id really be pissed if i bought the other and it wouldnt work properly.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rookie for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdv1 View Post
ok heres my question is having problems with this unit worth the extra $$ saved ?
DAMN good question, and I'm struggling for an answer. I've been back and forth with this company more than a few times and they're some of the nicest folks I've dealt with, but this is very frustrating indeed. Also, it seems that the vast majority of people who install it have zero issues.

My advice is go ahead and order it from either the manufacturer or a reputable retailer who has a 30-day return policy. If you have the slightest problem at all, return it and don't look back.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Collision Godfather

I just went for a 142 mile ride, used the Ipod the whole time, zero glitches.....Worked flawlessly.