Best lowering kit for 2012 SG - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Best lowering kit for 2012 SG

Hey fellas, I have been reading about some of these lowering blocks that places have sold that have actually broken. Mostly places on EvilBay. Does anyone have experience with one that has been holding up good? I'm looking to lower mine about 2" in the back.

Thanks-
jayb53guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
Stay away from those lowering blocks. Get your seat re-worked instead. The lowering blocks just kick back the shocks and it's hard on the seals & shock cylinder.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
SG already have 1" shorter shocks than standard touring bikes. If you go lower in the rear, I wonder if you'd start dragging hard parts through the corners. Have you considered a lower seat? Corbins, C&C, and even HD Reach are lower. Maybe you have already... just a suggestion. Why do you want to go lower?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Millwright

Tried lowering blocks and rejected as STUPID for me to run that way, dragging everything and it was not only that all the noise scared the bejesus out of my passengers, but was down right unsafe!!! I had one set that was a 1" drop and another set that did 1" and 2" drops. I tried the multi setup first at the 2" max and they actually started coming apart and that was in just 2 days. Next the really nice heavy duty 1" set came next and then I really rode it and tested it and still way too much dragging and it handled poorly compared to regular mounting. Next I tried the Super Reach and the Reach HD seats and the Reach worked great without the blocks!! But in the interim I bought the Arrnot Aldan's system that when I want it really low to move it around, I can drop that as well!!!

103" w/Race Kit,Stage IV 117HP 111TQ
SE 259E Cams
SE Heavy Breather AC (Scott's modified)
SE Race Tuner
V&H Power Duals & Hi Outputs
SE CNC Heads 10.62/1 w/SE 58mm TB
John Scott port matching
Renegade Racine wheels. 21x3.5/ 17x6.25
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...845-petew.html
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adding Miles

I had them as well and took them off. I liked being closer to the ground in order to get my feet planted when stopped. Did't like the ride and bottoming when riding 2 up even at just 1 inch. Rear end just felt "gitchy".

Took them off, lowerd my seat (had gel pad inserted while it was apart) and got boots with thicker soles.

The real solution was to go to a parking lot with the "Ride Like a Pro" exercises and increased skill and confidence at low speed. Still need to pay attention and use caution but I am OK not to be flat footed anymore.

Guess you can tell that I am vertically challanged (insert short ass here).
Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
How about a set of these bad boys!!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looked at the reach seat today. I guess my philosophy is it has a brand new seat on it now, why should I get another? At a stop my feet (I'm 5'8") are barely flat. I just want to be a bit closer. I think I will just invest in the seat.

Thanks for all the info/advice. All of it is good.

And mab864- If they have those in pink I am down!! LMAO!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

i found if your wife or gf is a bigger gal..that will lower the ass end by a good inch...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ride Hard

I'd love to drop the back of my EG. I have and artifical hip and a back fussion. Part of my 17 year discharge package from Uncle Sam. With the lower seat the angle bothers my hip and the thin foam racks my back. Just like to lowwer my sled correctly. I think it can be done correctly. With the bike lowered I should be able to ride a on a high comfotable seat.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMITH View Post
I'd love to drop the back of my EG. I have and artifical hip and a back fussion. Part of my 17 year discharge package from Uncle Sam. With the lower seat the angle bothers my hip and the thin foam racks my back. Just like to lowwer my sled correctly. I think it can be done correctly. With the bike lowered I should be able to ride a on a high comfotable seat.
Never thought about that, good call. I too have the lower back, and sciatic nerve problems, thanks to years of ruck marches and 6 hour PT sessions. Great info- Thanks!