Weak moment - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJo View Post
Let me clarify my thoughts on the StreetGlide rear end.
First of all, my daily ride is a '93 XLH1200, so ANY of the new baggers are smoooooth as silk to me. I do, however, ride dozens of motorcycles on a pretty regular basis. Mostly short 50 mile rides, through a wide variety of terrain.

I find your average softtail to actually have a smoother overall ride than the StreetGlide in factory form. HOWEVER, if you back some air off those shocks, OR go with a set of Progressive 940 series shocks--game over. THAT'S when the Streeglide becomes the SweetGlide.

I have ridden two different StreetGlides (2009, 2011) in speeds in excess of 100mph without a lot of noticeable "bagger wobble", but if I owned one, I'd go with the Progressive shocks over factory, for certain. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"I'm pretty sure Jesus has more than one bike. But I'm POSITIVE at least one of 'em is a Harley Davidson StreetGlide."

It's just the best overall bike I've ridden. Smaller and easier to handle around town to me than the Ultra. Feels like a lowered Electraglide to me, with a MUCH better center of gravity. Great torque, excellent sound especially when equipped with them big long Sampson pipes one of my buddies runs. Very nimble for a big bike, and just real hard to find any fault with at all!

Dude, you don't have to do ANYTHING to that bike to enjoy the heck out of it. But if you DO stablyze the rear end and get those shocks set Just Right--LOOK OUT! You're gonna look awful goofy riding around with that big ol' $h1# eatin' grin on your face all the time...
When you say "back off the air", how much would you say? My daily ride for 10+ years has been a lowered soft tail with a blown out shock and a Jammer solo seat. So the ride on the Glide is outstanding but if I can get it better, I'm all ears.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Indian Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJo View Post
Yeah, I was dumb back then, too...Problem is, I still am! I'd put a small-block Chevy engine in a weedeater if I could carry it. Then I'd run it right at redline...
That WAS a fun ride back! I can see why we should ride together again.
And why we shouldn't!!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
Dr. Pending Projects

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR_K4 View Post
Well,After all the grief i give to harley lately...believe it or not...i went to my local dealer like i always do to chat.... and there it was. Sooo.. I am the owner of a 2012 Deep Purple Streetglide! Just couldnt pass it up. I pick it up Friday
Be sure to post photos!!!

2013 Forty-Eight in Ember Red Sunglo
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec shadow graphics
2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S (to buy Sep 2015)
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
Deep purple??? Didn't know that was a color choice for '12 SG. I guess I've never seen one. Please post a pic. Also PRR, congrats on the SG... you will love it! My thought's on the wobble thing... I've never experienced it in a noticeable way and I have a pretty extensive motorcycle racing background but it was all offroad. But I don't go 90 around curves on my SG either. Heck... I don't go 90 on straight roads either. Speeding just makes the ride get over sooner and I want the ride to last as long as possible so I just cruise.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwoodiii View Post
When you say "back off the air", how much would you say? My daily ride for 10+ years has been a lowered soft tail with a blown out shock and a Jammer solo seat. So the ride on the Glide is outstanding but if I can get it better, I'm all ears.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I'm gonna PM you just in case you don't see this, but try setting the air level all the way down to 10 pounds, THEN get back to us...You ain't gonna believe the difference. Yeah, I'm with you on the old bike with bad shocks. THAT will not compete with a SG in any way.

But you back the air pressure down on them shocks, and man, you just lemme know what you think then.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

Sorry, guys just haven't noticed too much wobble at any speed. Maybe I am used to it.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Garage
That is a nice ride. Congrats. Was this from Steel City?
RETIRED US ARMY WARRANT OFFICER
bigchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Very nice ride. Paint job is a head turner..who doesn't like flames?
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #39 (permalink)

I'm weak also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR_K4 View Post
Well,After all the grief i give to harley lately...believe it or not...i went to my local dealer like i always do to chat.... and there it was. Sooo.. I am the owner of a 2012 Deep Purple Streetglide! Just couldnt pass it up. I pick it up Friday
I've got the Minnesota patent on the 2012 deep purple SG, so don't you be riding roun' here!

Wasn't aware that these even existed until August. There weren't any in Minnesota, so I had to trailer mine up from Ottumwa IA. Got the 10% discount for purchasing a new 2012 after the 2013s hit the showroom. May be my last bike. You planning on any mods? Particularly exhaust? I'm thinking the Samson turn downs, but I haven't able to get a good idea of the sound yet.

Absolutely in love with this bike, my first tourer. And it has absolutely nothing to do with that I'm a Vikings fan. Well maybe a little...
thebigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

Deep Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab864 View Post
Deep purple??? Didn't know that was a color choice for '12 SG. I guess I've never seen one. Please post a pic. Also PRR, congrats on the SG... you will love it! My thought's on the wobble thing... I've never experienced it in a noticeable way and I have a pretty extensive motorcycle racing background but it was all offroad. But I don't go 90 around curves on my SG either. Heck... I don't go 90 on straight roads either. Speeding just makes the ride get over sooner and I want the ride to last as long as possible so I just cruise.
HD came out with the Deep Purple in the spring 2012, on several models, one from each family, except 2 tourers.
thebigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.