Weak moment - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, so I've read all the posts (good stuff) and I've check out the links and the vids. Couple of questions:
I have a '12 FTHLK and have up at the 80 and 90 mph quite a few time and think it's a smooth as silk and steady. Don't feel the need to really go faster but again, it's seems pretty stable. So why then would I need to get this upgrade or am I not getting it??

Also, I believe we can put up to 50lbs of air in the shocks, how much do you all recommend and what is your experience as far as when do increase or decrease the lbs of air?

Thanks.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #42 (permalink)

Garage
congrats and ride it like ya stole it
chop1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #43 (permalink)

Wobble - I pretty much voice Daves opinion. I have an 09 Ultra and the new frame is defininitely an improvement over the old one, but there is still some flex/wobble under certain conditions. It is highly unlikely (improbable) that you are going to experience any type of wobble going in a straight line on a smooth road regardless of the speed. Where the 'wobble' comes into play from my experience is moderate to agressive cornering at speed, maybe 80 mph+. Under certain circumstances, the bike leaned over, with undulations in the road, uneven road surface, etc., it will set up a condition were the rear end gets a little squirrley or 'wobble'. It kind of floats, like Dave, it doesn't bother me much, but if you are inexperienced with such things you might have a 'moment' of sorts. I agree with the earlier posts that suspension improvements (like Progressive front fork springs and rear shocks) will have a very postive impact across the board. Haven't done it yet on this bike although I intend to do so. I have done it on other bikes I've owned and the difference it made was very impressive - for what it's worth.

'When if's and but's are candy and nuts, oh what a world it will be"

THE MAIN THING... IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING.
MikeYork5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #44 (permalink)

Garage
I havent noticed any sway or wobble on my 11 SG. I run her everyday a 80+ mph for over 100 miles each day, and no death wobble. My 02 roadking wobbled like a SOB so i know what you are talking about. Never had one issue with my SG.
phrogchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #45 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats on the new ride. Looks great!
bigchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #46 (permalink)

I notice the wobble on my 07 Street Glide.. but not all the time... I have one section of highway, that the speed limit is 70 on, and has several sweeping curves. Everyone runs almost 80 on it on average. The surface on those areas isn't very good, and if I'm running 80...I definitely get the wobble... I think mostly because of the road surface. It doesn't bother me much, Heck I rode a Kawasaki Triple in the 70's.... it wobbled all the time LOL..
The wobble on a big bike can certainly get your attention, if your not used to it or not prepared.. I've never felt like I was in danger of crashing, I just keep the throttle steady and ride through it.... Definitely rear shocks would help.....
"The Herd" #35
SonnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJo View Post
Yeah man, major Congrats! Wish I had a Streetglide to call my own.

My favorite all-around bike, and I get to ride LOTS of Harleys. Once you get the rear-end of that thing straightened out, there just ain't nothin' like a Streetglide.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!
What rear-end thing?
2006 Cobalt Blue Street Glide
1998 Tangerine and birch Heritage Softail
and more Hondas than I can remember. 2
emmojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
Ok, so I've read all the posts (good stuff) and I've check out the links and the vids. Couple of questions:
I have a '12 FTHLK and have up at the 80 and 90 mph quite a few time and think it's a smooth as silk and steady. Don't feel the need to really go faster but again, it's seems pretty stable. So why then would I need to get this upgrade or am I not getting it??

Also, I believe we can put up to 50lbs of air in the shocks, how much do you all recommend and what is your experience as far as when do increase or decrease the lbs of air?

Thanks.
Hey Knash gonna PM ya too just in case you don't see this. I have a 12 FLHTK as well. I get no wobble at all and I have been at 100mph a number of times and usually cruise at 80mph and smooth as silk. As far as the shocks go I ride 90% 2 up and I keep 45 psi in the shocks. Nice ride and no bottoming out. With just me on the bike I will run anywhere from 20 to 35 psi and adjust at stops during the ride to compensate for ambient air temp (makes a difference) and what type of riding I will be doing. Example: mainly gonna be on highway cruising I will lower shocks to around 20 psi for the cushy ride. If I am gonna be in the twistys I will up it to around 32 psi to raise increase cornering lean angle and responsiveness.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote