trike or sidecar - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

trike or sidecar

i was thinking of buying a trike.what are they like to ride.i hv a roadking classic and was thinking a side car.can a side car b removed.are they hard to manage.any advice welcomed.
rockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good quality trikes are awsome but expensive. They are a different animal than a Roadking simply because they have NO LEAN in corners. I test rode a 2011 UC trike and just could not wrap my mind around no leaning thru corners. Its a very scary feeling but I'm guessing it's a learned skill.

Side cars are an entirely different breed themselves. You need to make some modification to the front end of your bike to accomadate a side car. I believe a suspension dampner for the front forks as well as increasing the length of the front forks to accomadate the car. I suggest you do a lot of research before attaching anything to your scooter. There are a lot of quality kits out there as well as a lot of unsafe kits available.

Ride safely and good luck with your research friend.
RobsUltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

might be hard to find a Harley sidecar since they stopped making them a few years ago, and more than likely, if you do find one, you will pay top dollar for it.
PRR_K4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Señor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
Trikes are fun!
Rob is correct. They do take a little time to get used to. You can't lean in the curves. This can freak some people out at the start.

Think if it as you ride a bike and drive a trike.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Since I own and drive a sidecar and have for a while,I'd say sidecar. I have not tried a modern Trike,only a servicar. A sidecar can "fly" on tight right turns,but a trike can "fly" right or left. I owned and drove a H-D sidecar when I tried the servicar,for me no thanks,It purt near skeerd me.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for advice guys.im from ireland and have only seen side cars and trikes on utube.not a demand over here.what i realy want is something my better half can feel confident on.any more advice wld b much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Side car. I'd get a sidecar in a heartbeat if I had the garage space. I'd likely put all my stuff in it and run away from home too.....
Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

thanks for advice guys.im from ireland and have only seen side cars and trikes on utube.not a demand over here.what i realy want is something my better half can feel confident on.any more advice wld b much appreciated.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks 4 reply dave 63 but i want to bring my wife not run away from her,although its a nice thought.can u take side car off and wld new parts like dampers make a diff to the ride of my roadking.nt want to do that.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

how do i post messeges to mew posts.i keep sending them to active topics.