Harley Davidson Forums banner

radio problem, sound cuts off

46K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Jc1233 
#1 ·
All of sudden my radio sound will stop. Radio never loses power, i can sometimes turn power off wait a few minutes and turn it back on and it will play for an bit and then does it again.
Little background, I replaced the bars over winter, cables have plenty of slack, and have about 2k on it. I have taken apart the switches looking for pinched wire at the controls and they all appear fine, i put a meter on the speakers and they check at 2ohm. Any ideas? I'm thinking speaker going bad causing a short to radio and it's the least expensive fix to replace them?
Its a 2008 streetglide with the factory radio.

#2 ·
I'd say the speakers are far away from your problem. Rule 1 of electrical trouble shooting is to start looking in the place where the last person had his fingers. Since you changed the bars, I'd first look on the right side wiring from the switch on back toward the radio. I had a similar problem on an older bike where a pinched wire there where the wires go into the control housing on the right side handlebar would cause intermittent cutouts, and I suspect you are experiencing the same thing here.

#3 ·
A friend of mine had the same problem. He would turn it on and after a 15 or 30 minutes it would cut off. After a few minutes of being off it would start work. He took it to the dealer and turned out to be the amp over heating. Had to replace the radio. It was a good thing he got the extended warranty......lol

#4 ·
10 years ago I bought a new 2003 Ultra

03 was the 1st year of the factory C.D. player . When it was hot weather the CD might play 10 minutes or 30 minutes ,but it was going to stop playing soon !! The radio was fine .
I never take a new vehicle back because I usually got another blimish & grease every where unless it's bad .
A few years back I was @ walmart an saw a Chevy dealer Tech shopping . Later I was in the van waiting on my wife in the parking lot I saw the Tech getting in a new Corvette !!!!! Hey he was filthy !!! His boots were so greasy they needed throwing in the trash & his Dealer uniform was dirty last week !!! He was out shopping & cruising in a cutomers new Corvette @ walmart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is not a 1st time event ! Thats why I don't go to the shop unless it's bad news . My thoughts Bud

#13 ·
10 years ago I bought a new 2003 Ultra

03 was the 1st year of the factory C.D. player . When it was hot weather the CD might play 10 minutes or 30 minutes ,but it was going to stop playing soon !! The radio was fine .
I never take a new vehicle back because I usually got another blimish & grease every where unless it's bad .
A few years back I was @ walmart an saw a Chevy dealer Tech shopping . Later I was in the van waiting on my wife in the parking lot I saw the Tech getting in a new Corvette !!!!! Hey he was filthy !!! His boots were so greasy they needed throwing in the trash & his Dealer uniform was dirty last week !!! He was out shopping & cruising in a cutomers new Corvette @ walmart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. This is not a 1st time event ! Thats why I don't go to the shop unless it's bad news . My thoughts Bud
Mine has a code of 2006

#6 ·
I thought overheating at first since it started happening 90+ day but it now does it in any temp. Right side controls only functions on the radio so I have spent most of the time checking left side which controls volume. The radio display never changes it appears just as if you should have sound.
Thanks for the input

#7 ·
#9 ·
It's a common problem with the HK stereo. Mine was covered under warranty. I'm going to replace it ASAP!

#15 ·
All of sudden my radio sound will stop. Radio never loses power, i can sometimes turn power off wait a few minutes and turn it back on and it will play for an bit and then does it again.
Little background, I replaced the bars over winter, cables have plenty of slack, and have about 2k on it. I have taken apart the switches looking for pinched wire at the controls and they all appear fine, i put a meter on the speakers and they check at 2ohm. Any ideas? I'm thinking speaker going bad causing a short to radio and it's the least expensive fix to replace them?
Its a 2008 streetglide with the factory radio.
I have 2013 street glide and just started the same thing! Never loses power and if I turn off and back on it’ll work for a few then no sound again. I said screw it and bought a jvc kit with 6.5” jbl speakers and metra aswc thumb controls for $300!!! Sounds amazing with no problems because I refuse to pay $800-$1000 for stereo!! Rather use money for better upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.