Intermittent engine shut-down problem 2000 FLHTCUI - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Intermittent engine shut-down problem 2000 FLHTCUI

I have a 2000 FLHTCUI with 56K that has been increasingly "shutting down" in slow to medium speed situations most associated with stop and go / city driving conditions, it does not show itself under interstate / constant speed / good air circulation driving conditions. This problem manifests itself by "what appears" to be a complete shut down of the ignition system, with power remaining to the lights, gauges, radio, etc. I can re-start the bike almost immediately by hitting the starter switch, which does not require recycling (shutting off and turning on) the electrical system at either the ignition or engine shut off switch. Upon re-starting the bike runs perfectly until the next occasion. This situation is present in both wet and dry conditions and not isolated to only hot weather conditions; it also does not produce error codes and therefore been very difficult for HD to diagnose and address. Of note is that this condition has been present since the bike was new, occurring very infrequently…… but has now become much more frequent making this bike dangerous to drive. Any ideas?
drj9999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Have the shop hook up the Digital Tech and set to "Road Test Record" then drive the bike untill the ignition shuts down . The event will be recorded and can then be replayed on the shop computer for diagnosis .
Old 06-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
Have the shop hook up the Digital Tech and set to "Road Test Record" then drive the bike untill the ignition shuts down . The event will be recorded and can then be replayed on the shop computer for diagnosis .
As is the case with some intermittent issues, the HD shop has not been able to replicate the problem on the bench or during their test rides (using the Digital Tech) and the problem produced no "error codes" from the recent occurrences and my real world usage. Unfortunately I may be looking at a situation of throwing $ at the problem, buying new replacement parts and employing the process of elimination; an expensive game to play and not terribly efficient. Any advice that narrows down list of potential solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
bud

I think I've been there.

Clean your fuel injectors & while your in there clean your I.A.C. . Bud
bud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem on a 2000 FLHRCI. When it shuts down, I have to turn the switch off & back on to restart, as there is no fire to the plugs otherwise. my shop is currently looking at the bank angle sensor as the culprit FYI
granpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wanted to wait until I was certain I had determined the true problem, the proper fix, and tested it. It turns out the problem was "thin" connector wire ends on the wires running through the main circuit breaker. Being too thin & under load they would heat up and trip the main circuit breaker. By cutting, cleaning, and reapplying new connector wire ends a problem that has been present on this bike since it was brand new from the factory has disappeared. The connectors did not visually look too "thin", dirty, or have any corrosion on them. To my surprise HD in Milwaukee has been aware of this problem for years and quietly communicating the remedy to those dealerships who inquire. Amazing the number of hours, $'s and frustration chasing a 6 cent solution. Thanks to everyone who assisted me with great ideas and advice.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Have run into that on many occasions in the past ! I trouble shoot right down to the connectors and find the crimps at the terminals have cut the wires ! Those terminal crimps are done on assy. line machines, not by human hands. I'm always on the watch for those !
The MoCo has been aware of this for a long time too !
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had the same issue on my 03 ultra. It would run fine at speed but as soon as I would stop it would shut down.replaced IAC, bank angle sensor, and several other goodies. Bike would not throw up a code. Come to find out my engine temp sensor went bad and would put the bike in overheat mode and shut it down. replaced it and haven't had a probelm since.
Dino79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Millwright

Check out the main breaker and it's spring tension would b where I would look first. Had a 98 FB that would not hold the switch in place, when I hit a big bump it would switch it off and I had to tape it on to get home and then replaced it...

103" w/Race Kit,Stage IV 117HP 111TQ
SE 259E Cams
SE Heavy Breather AC (Scott's modified)
SE Race Tuner
V&H Power Duals & Hi Outputs
SE CNC Heads 10.62/1 w/SE 58mm TB
John Scott port matching
Renegade Racine wheels. 21x3.5/ 17x6.25
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...845-petew.html
petew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
100k Harley,100kBMW

drj, I had the same problem with my bike. I outlined a fix earlier with the connection at the TPS, throttle position switch. Take it apart, clean it with a wire brush, apply di-electric grease to the connectors, and be done with it. I have been ok for 4k miles now.
Biker1boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.