Should've never done it...now I gotta spend money - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Macgyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 120
Should've never done it...now I gotta spend money

Thought I loved my SG, do several multi-hundred mile trips a year, felt ok...get some right hand numbness after 150miles, but cruise control helps. Could never see the appeal of apes on a touring bike...Until my buddy calls, asks if I can pick up his bike (he can't ride, foot injury). Same year bike, with 12" apes. All I can say is WOW. no wrist pain, shoulders don't get tired, I am in LOVE!
So know each time I ride my scoot, I keep thinking how much better it'll feel when I can get the new bars!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member
 
Chief Illiniwek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,092
Images: 55
Preach it, bro. Someday I'll get my apes and rid myself of the stock road king bars of misery.

Check out stangs bars. Full-on badness.
__________________
2011 Road King Classic, Python slip-ons, Stage 1 SE a/c, Power Commander V

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Macgyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
Preach it, bro. Someday I'll get my apes and rid myself of the stock road king bars of misery.

Check out stangs bars. Full-on badness.
Stang an other member here (I never notice names)? Or you talkin manufacturer?
I didn't realize how low my bars set, until my kids girfriend took a pic of me on the road...my first thought was "f**k I'm gettin fat", 2nd thought was "Them bars look way low"....then "the ride".
Maybe if I sell some blood.......

I look goofy on my bike...I can see why I still need a higher windshield too
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 285
I wouldn't mind putting some short apes on my ultra, but it looks like a huge pita with the fairing.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
HarleySturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seņor Member
 
Chief Illiniwek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,092
Images: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Stang an other member here (I never notice names)? Or you talkin manufacturer?
I didn't realize how low my bars set, until my kids girfriend took a pic of me on the road...my first thought was "f**k I'm gettin fat", 2nd thought was "Them bars look way low"....then "the ride".
Maybe if I sell some blood.......

I look goofy on my bike...I can see why I still need a higher windshield too
Yeah, sorry. I'm talking about 2stangs8689.

Don't be so hard on yourself. The hands look a little low but otherwise it's a good fit. Nice looking bike, bro. And, hand me one of those doughnuts.
__________________
2011 Road King Classic, Python slip-ons, Stage 1 SE a/c, Power Commander V

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Macgyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySturg View Post
I wouldn't mind putting some short apes on my ultra, but it looks like a huge pita with the fairing.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
We probably have the most "involved" install (even the road glides seem simpler), but Once you're comfortable taking the fairing cap on & off, it doesn't seem too scary. Just gotta make sure them bars are settin where you want them before bolting it all back together. I'm not overly concerned, I've taken the fairing apart a bunch of times, but aparently since I have ABS I'm going to have to remove the tank too, since the line runs back to the module, then from there to the front....THATS the huge pita :/
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seņor Member
 
Chief Illiniwek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,092
Images: 55
Pretty sure stangs posted a thread taking us through his install, if you care to use the search function to find it, or just pm him. Good luck.
__________________
2011 Road King Classic, Python slip-ons, Stage 1 SE a/c, Power Commander V

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Macgyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
And, hand me one of those doughnuts.

That's allllllll beer. homebrewed beer at that. Ok, and some kickass dinners (never trust a skinny cook)

I like to think of it as a one-man anti-anorexia campaign
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seņor Member
 
Chief Illiniwek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,092
Images: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
That's allllllll beer. homebrewed beer at that. Ok, and some kickass dinners (never trust a skinny cook)

I like to think of it as a one-man anti-anorexia campaign
Haha! You're a giver. The fall of eating disorders will have you to thank.

I love beer.
__________________
2011 Road King Classic, Python slip-ons, Stage 1 SE a/c, Power Commander V

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Collision Godfather
 
2stangs8689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lockport, NY
Posts: 4,751
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Thought I loved my SG, do several multi-hundred mile trips a year, felt ok...get some right hand numbness after 150miles, but cruise control helps. Could never see the appeal of apes on a touring bike...Until my buddy calls, asks if I can pick up his bike (he can't ride, foot injury). Same year bike, with 12" apes. All I can say is WOW. no wrist pain, shoulders don't get tired, I am in LOVE!
So know each time I ride my scoot, I keep thinking how much better it'll feel when I can get the new bars!

Another believer!!!!!!!!

I just had my 10K/rear tire service done, and while there, another guy on a SG pulls up for a front tire, see's my bike, shakes his head at the bars and asks "Why did you do that to such a beautiful bike?"

I asked "Do you get any pain while riding?"

Him: "yea, lower-mid back and shoulders after about 150 miles"

Me : "I used to, all gone now, thanks to those bars"

Him: "Can I sit on it, I just gotta see how they feel"

Me: "Sure"

Swings a leg, raises his arms up to the bars, and this was his face

Him: "Holy &%^&*&, my back feels better already"


Me:


Here's my thread, if you want any tips or anything, send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number.

I'm going Ape's, any tips for install?
__________________
2011 Harley of sorts....


Harley Forum Meet and Greet Video 2013

http://youtu.be/yW0nzq94R1Y


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0skr19KrE4
2stangs8689 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Harley-Davidson
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum