Pulsing front brakes 2011 Street Glide - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
OGC

Pulsing front brakes 2011 Street Glide

Hi folks, I'm new to the forum but not a new rider. I need some feedback from the forum.... I have an issue around pulsing of the front brakes on my 2011 Street Glide, bike has 4300 miles on it..still under warranty. At my 1000 mile service I cussed and discussed with the dealer whose response was " there is nothing wrong with the rotors or caliphers....it will go away on its own". I don't buy it...bike has ABS...has anyone had similar issues?
Thanks..OGC
OGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Pulsing brakes is associated with warped rotors. ABS will pulse only when getting on the brakes hard and loosing traction.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
I have ABS on my '12 SG. If I get on my front brake hard it will pulsate. The rear seems to pulsate quicker/easier in more routine hard braking. I've tested my front brake a couple times with hard straight line braking from about 40 mph and it will definitely pulsate. That is the only time I've noticed my front doing that. I've never had it do that in routine use out on the street. If your front brake is pulsating during routine stopping, I would say something is wrong. Put the bike up on a workstand and spin the front tire and observe both rotors. Any visual warp noticed?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
OGC

Appreciate the feedback...gents..

Pulses during routine stopping, I never washed them when hot nor have I had a need to engage the ABS (knock on wood). I do not have a stand to elevate the bike and spin the wheel and or gauge any warping....back to the dealer...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it is the bent rotor once or twice a rotation grab-release make that clear to him. It is too easy for a service guy to believe someone is concerned about the almost buzzing abs feature. As bikes get more sophisticated the description of problems must become more precise. Did the service guy or a mechanic ride it?
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dr Volts

Warped rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGC View Post
Appreciate the feedback...gents..

Pulses during routine stopping, I never washed them when hot nor have I had a need to engage the ABS (knock on wood). I do not have a stand to elevate the bike and spin the wheel and or gauge any warping....back to the dealer...
My front rotor was already replaced twice because it was warped.
Warranty both times.

Second time was at 24000 km
Dutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
OGC

Btsom...appreciate your comments, not sure if the tech rode the bike, I'll make sure he does...the brake pulse, not buzz. Dutch....I hope it is a rotor(s), easy fix. Many thanks to all for the advice..
Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dr Volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
My front rotor was already replaced twice because it was warped.
Warranty both times.

Second time was at 24000 km
Just wanted you to understand that it IS a known warranty thing as the first time this happened I didn't even complain, dealer found the issue and replaced both front rotors.
Dutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
If it is pulsating on routine stopping then I agree with the group. I think you have a warped rotor. Don't you wonder what those techs do sometimes? I wonder what kind of check he did on your brakes?
Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
OGC

Thanks again guys....