Florida Keys - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #31 (permalink)

Hey Crab sound like you haven't been down this end in a while, you posted some very good points, but I'll update some.
I rarely take car sound rd since the 18 mile stretch got finished, very safe now since they added the dividing wall, the toll is $2. if any one wants wants to go the car sound route, Alabama Jacks still there, still fun to stop for a beer, food is so so, I agree the food at Sun Downers sucks and is expensive, Big Chill next door is way better, there is also Gilbert's before you get that far down, if you don't mind a pricy spot Pier's just past Tavernier is nice, specially if you're bringing a wife/girl friend, after that nothing really worth it till Key West IMO.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
The other white meat

Cool man, Thanks for the update Carbon. Wow, its about time they did something about the stretch. I can not even begin to tell you how many lives have been lost on that road over the years. I always felt once I made it past jewfish creek I was home free.
Its good to know that the major stress point of getting down there has been fixed.

Gilberts! yea I got flooded with memories last night. I've done some eating (drinking) at that place, was OK back then.
Guess I was projecting the toll rd cost. I reckon since they fixed the stretch they need the revenues and kept the price low.
I have history in me concerning Alabama Jacks. I will always have a spot in me for that place.
Like ya said, cold beer and cheap burgers... blah on the eats. Had some great fish sandwich now and again tho.

Key largo is all about the day trippers any more and it could have only gotten worse since my last visit.
Up around Tavernier is where I would take some friends who vacationed and wanted to rent a boat, motel and go fishing.
There was one place that you could rent the boat and tie it up to your motel (boatel). Was great to be able to leave early in the morning an hit the reefs for fishing.
Did some tarpon fishing at night around the bridge there and hooked some monster tarps.

Growing up down there and riding me bikes all down through the keys over them years is some memories that I'm glad to have.
So many great days in me treasure chest, I could write a book.

i know my attitude has changed about the keys and the islands to where its a love hate thing today, but for someone who only visits now and again its awesome an I say do it at least once.
I'd bet money you won't regret it, well unless the weather blo's the whole time yer down there then bets off.
Even today, like Dickey said, I'm sure its still real easy to get "hooked" and want to live down there.

Some good comments in this thread for someone like ya Z006 who wants some info.
There's another thread in here about the keys if I remembers correctly. It may also have some useful highlights about it.

Year round riding!
Have fun Z006, I certainly wish for you folks to have the time of your life.
I'm just going to sit here and suffer through withdrawals thinking about all the great days I've had down there and the good time I expect y'all to have...poor ole Ex Captain Mikey... he's sad now lol
Guess it could be worse, someone could kick me in the nads or it will snow today.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #33 (permalink)

I've ridden to the keys many times i always enjoy the ride and key west. You wont b sorry. Just beware b its can b a little cold in dec and january sometimes in the 40s early in the mornings but always warms up to at least 60 these days are not typical but does occur. But u can always ride even in our coldest days
italianrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #34 (permalink)

Thanks Stone Crab. You supplied me with lots of good info, much appreciated. Will stay away from the tourist traps and keep to the sideroads to feast on the seafood. Thanks again.
z006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
The other white meat

Your welcome z006. I don't know how to properly ad a link in here but there is some additional info about key west that may be useful to ya in here.
Its in:
Forum > Rides, Rallies, and Riders > Ride Suggestions and Ride Reports.
On page 8 there's a thread called "Ride to Key West" by Longhornsjim
ya might want to check it out.

man, I can't stop thinking about sea food. I "need" fresh seafood.
I think I'm going to die my body is freaking out lol.
Safe travels and safe rides to you!
Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #36 (permalink)

Key Largo is my favorite vacation destination ever!! The Keys has the best seafood too!! you gotta get some grouper while there
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #37 (permalink)

Been There-Done That- One of the best rides I have ever been on.

Do it, you won't regret it................
bbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

One more month to go & we'll be there.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #39 (permalink)
The other white meat

Awesome z. Going to be nice temps down there by then.
Had a best pal who worked for me now and again when I was commercial fishing down there in Marathon spend Thanksgiving with us. He left his morning to go back home. We had some good conversations about our days down in the keys working, fishing and goofing off.

Keep us posted. It should be one great vacation.
I certainly wish for ya's to have the best time ever while your down there.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

Angry

Tomorrows the big day. Bike strap down & truck is packed. Takeoff, 6am. Wouldn't you know it. Freezing rain & snow for the first 10 hours.