Whining noise from primary - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Whining noise from primary

Please check out this video and tell me what you think.
This is not my bike but it is the same exact whining noise that my bike makes.
This noise is present in neutral or in gear, with the clutch engaged or disengaged doesn't matter.
I know this noise is the primary chain and i think it is caused by the auto tension adjuster making the chain a bit tight.
I have heard this same noise on about 50% of the Harley big twins i have listened to that have the auto adjuster.
So I wanted to see what you guys think and does your big twin with auto adjuster make this same noise?
StreetGlider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Ya need louder pipes!
pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I'm gonna say not normal . I'd pull the cover and take a peek. The adjuster may be stuck on a fresh notch but that's louder then I've ever heard. The last one I heard that loud was a cam chain whine due to worn inner tensioner.....

My 1995 Dyna had an HD auto tensioner. It had a "faint" whine. Never changed with wear, ATF or Formula plus fluid.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

Last edited by Dave63; 09-29-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Opinions vary. I thought it sounded like a healthy drive. Not unlike most.
96349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
18 wheeler pilot

I have owned 3 TC's. None of mine sounded like that. I do hear a faint "siren' type noise from my '11 Heritage when I slow to a stop, but nothing like I'm hearing from yours.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Whats interesting is that most guys don't really notice this noise as they usually have non stock pipes or just aren't paying attention to this noise.
For example tonight I was having dinner at a local big boy and I parked my SG next to a 2012 EG.
I saw the fellow who owned the bike and started a conversation with him.
I asked him if he has ever noticed this whining noise coming from his primary and he said his primary doesn't make any noise.
So when he was leaving I walked out with him and I listened when he started his bike.
Sure enough there was the whine coming from his primary.
He did have Rhineharts on his bike so the exhaust noise did mask the whining noise a bit, but sure enough the noise was present.
We then went over to my bike and I started it and the whining primary noise was almost identical to his bike.
He said he never noticed this noise until now and I think he was a bit surprised he hadn't noticed this before.
So I guess many if not most late model TC's make this noise to one degree or another and things like aftermarket exhaust systems mask these kind of noises.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired citizen

That sounds like the auto chain adjuster.
How many miles are on the bike ???
Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
That sounds like the auto chain adjuster.
How many miles are on the bike ???
You are correct, the auto adjuster causes the chain to go slightly tighter than spec. causing the whining noise.
Like i said most bikes with the auto adjuster makes this noise to some degree or another.
My bike has 3000 miles.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
bud

I had too know ?

I just found your post . I walked out to the garage an coded my 2008 Ultra . I do have 2.0 muffler baffles . I do have a very happy face after hearing the video . I have a very quiet primary . I bought new an use valvoline 100 % synthetic auto trans fluid. I believe is the most healthy fluid I can use for my Harley . I have a few miles on my bike an I am 64 . This could help some an I do love my bike ! I had an 2007 ultra I hated because I had been used to a quiet Harley . The 07 had a xtremely noisy 6th gear . I think you have a problem . Please up date on your findings & repair . Bud

Last edited by bud; 10-03-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: synthetic
bud is offline   Reply With Quote