What's the best rear replacement tire for SG 2012 - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman24 View Post
A little problem with the 130/90/16 Front Commander II. Wrong size for the Street Glide. They don't make the 13/70/18 yet. Coming out 1st Quarter next year. I had the back one mounted already before we noticed.

Even the 16" tire is very hard to get. I have one. Chaparral will pick up free since it was their mistake, but if anyone local needs it, I paid $104 for it.

My front still has 3 left, so I will try to run till I get the front tire in. So far, it feels like a close enough ride match. Never run mismatched tires. Anyone have comments on this?
Okay.........just saw this so....... A. you already picked up on this and B. your 2011 has the 18" er. Sucks about the mix up but at least they made it right.
stogieluvr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #42 (permalink)

I went from the stock Dunlop to the Mich Commander II and don't like the feel on dry or wet.
And I am not a hard rider. Got 24K on that first rear Dunlop.
WI Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Bob View Post
I went from the stock Dunlop to the Mich Commander II and don't like the feel on dry or wet.
And I am not a hard rider. Got 24K on that first rear Dunlop.
Wow, thats a lot for a tire. Can you describe the difference you are feeling? So far, I like the rear Commander II. Very stable. No problem on damp or curves. Looks like next year the front tire will be available for my bike.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #44 (permalink)

Garage
What sucks is after reading all of these great inputs, I can't get a WWW tire for my 09 Road King Classic other than Dunlop D407/408's (the 180/65/16 rear size is the main problem). Harley and Dunlop screw the consumer in regards to price for these 'stock WWW's'.... I can't find anywhere online to get a cheaper rate in a WWW (last changeout was around $500 for both tires from Harley and $100 for the fitting at an indy).

I know I can go to black tires for a much cheaper price, but then why call it a classic without the WWW look... IMO.
Aussie Ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

I put the american elites on my 09 Street Glide in the spring. Have about 6.5k on them & love them. Better handling, better ride & seem to be wearing well got about 11k on the stock tires, front cupped real bad. Might try the Michelins next time.

Life is GOOD!!:

Last edited by What a Ride; 10-24-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: can't spell
What a Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman24 View Post
Wow, thats a lot for a tire. Can you describe the difference you are feeling? So far, I like the rear Commander II. Very stable. No problem on damp or curves. Looks like next year the front tire will be available for my bike.
To me, the Mich Comm II does not feel "hooked up" as often. Ride is fine and balance is excellent. (Dyna beads)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Bob View Post
To me, the Mich Comm II does not feel "hooked up" as often. Ride is fine and balance is excellent. (Dyna beads)
Might sound like a silly question but are the tires mounted correctly? I've heard of some guys havin trouble with em and it ended up the the tires were mounted backwards.

I'm diggin my CM2's thus far, alot more stable in corners.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK09 View Post
Might sound like a silly question but are the tires mounted correctly? I've heard of some guys havin trouble with em and it ended up the the tires were mounted backwards.

I'm diggin my CM2's thus far, alot more stable in corners.
Yep, rolling correctly. Just not a sticky tire. The compound feels too hard to me. Especially in cold weather. The stock Dunlop was much better overall traction.

Last edited by WI Bob; 10-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #49 (permalink)

Read good reviews on the Michelin Commander II, will try it next. both stockers and Dunlop american elite got me about 12.5k each on a 2010 ultra classic, weekend rides snad daily commute to work.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote