S&S v111 installed in my '97 Roadking - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceguy85 View Post
on the dealer side though, if a internal motor failure happened, if it was us, we would offer to take a look at it, but it wouldnt be on the house. If a customer supplies his own parts then in reality if there are any issues it technically on him. We explain that when people supply their own "bolt - on" parts all the time from some of these crappy part makers.

on the flip side the dealer could offer to look at it and try to save time, and more labor to r and r a motor, but say a crank bearing went... then the customer would be doubling up on labor when the manu. would warr. it.
Thats right, S&S won't allow it because they have the IST chip that monitors how the engine has been treated, hence they send an empty box and you send the engine back to them. They do the analyzing and tell you what they are going to do. I didn't buy this motor from the Harley shop because it was $1000 higher. I may end up paying twice that much in the end.
29roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

If I buy parts through my local Harley dealer for them to install they will handle any warranty issues that may come up. If I supply the part I bought from someone else for them to install and a problem comes up with the part I'm on my own. I do most of the work on my bike my self but anything I have the dealer to do I use parts supplied by them.
Billy
Billyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyram View Post
If I buy parts through my local Harley dealer for them to install they will handle any warranty issues that may come up. If I supply the part I bought from someone else for them to install and a problem comes up with the part I'm on my own. I do most of the work on my bike my self but anything I have the dealer to do I use parts supplied by them.
Billy
Thats right Billy, its on me as I said. But even if you bought the S&S V111 from the Harley dealer, it still has to be shipped back to S&S to be evaluated. The Harley dealer only installed the engine and are only responsible for the R&R. But, either way S&S still gets the engine back. They don't trust the dealer to trouble shoot, with their IST chip installed
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Still waiting for S&S to respond, its been 3 weeks now and no decision on what happened. I will post as soon as they let me know. I can't understand why it is taking so long, I missed Biketoberfest in Daytona this year.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

i am waiting with you. I also am ready to put that engine in my bike and intend to buy it from a reseller and have my local shop install it. Hope all turns out well for you.
GHBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHBiker View Post
i am waiting with you. I also am ready to put that engine in my bike and intend to buy it from a reseller and have my local shop install it. Hope all turns out well for you.
GH, I can give you some advice, but will wait until the end of the week. S&S in my opinion is a great engine, but they are not flexible in the way they handle trouble. This has been ongoing over 2 months and I am waiting on their evaluation. If they don't make it good, I will flood the message boards with the true story.

But, I am told by the dealer I bought it from that they would make it good. If they do that I will be satisfied. When I get word I will post it right here.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #27 (permalink)

Well, I have received official word from S&S. They said that there is nothing wrong with the motor after all the test they ran. First, my apologies to S&S for leaning against them, thinking it was the motor. But, with 3 certified Harley Davidson mechanics and myself stood there and heard all this noise. After that I left the bike there and they proceeded to remove all the exhaust covers and anything that could make noise and it still did it.

There are 3 explanations, 1. was the S&S motor being pooched. That has been eliminated, 2. The Harley Dealer did something that caused this noise during the R&R. 3. We are all just plain stupid. Why would a brand new excited owner of an S&S V 111, tank his motorcycle. Why would a reputable Dealership remove a new perfect engine and sent it to a manufacturer only to be rebutted? It makes no sense to me?

Keep in mind, this bike had never left me anywhere or failed to start since I bought in '96.

So again My Apologies to S&S, buy S&S with confidence, be careful who you let install the engine.

Last edited by 29roadking; 11-04-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Huh?
WI Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Performance Monger

As with anything mechanical, sh!t happens from time to time. I've been an S&S Dealer for years and they have ALWAYS backed me up on those rare occasions. Have faith, just sayin.

Back tires, smoke em if you got em!
Watch me smoke em on my homepage.
Smokin Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29roadking View Post
Well, I have received official word from S&S. They said that there is nothing wrong with the motor after all the test they ran. First, my apologies to S&S for leaning against them, thinking it was the motor. But, with 3 certified Harley Davidson mechanics and myself stood there and heard all this noise. After that I left the bike there and they proceeded to remove all the exhaust covers and anything that could make noise and it still did it.

There are 3 explanations, 1. was the S&S motor being pooched. That has been eliminated, 2. The Harley Dealer did something that caused this noise during the R&R. 3. We are all just plain stupid. Why would a brand new excited owner of an S&S V 111, tank his motorcycle. Why would a reputable Dealership remove a new perfect engine and sent it to a manufacturer only to be rebutted? It makes no sense to me?

Keep in mind, this bike had never left me anywhere or failed to start since I bought in '96.

So again My Apologies to S&S, buy S&S with confidence, be careful who you let install the engine.
This has me confused. It is still under the 12 month warranty. So, is this a replacement engine for the one that was in the 96 in the first place?
I have a 106 in a Dyna and it has been nothing but fast and with no issues. Hope it works out

dd
dirtdobber is offline   Reply With Quote