Nearing 5k since purchase.... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Nearing 5k since purchase....

I just went for a short ride. I usually commute daily, but I don't get out for a "wandering about" type ride as often as I would like. Rode about 2 hours and returned home. Some impressions:

1st: While I will admit there are some roads around here that cause me to miss my sportbike, I did notice that I seem to be riding at nearly the same speed on those roads. Just doesn't seem like it without looking at the speedo.

2nd: I am so much more comfortable I cannot believe that I am still on a motorcycle. And, I get to haul all kinds of crap with me. Every time I get to go for a longer ride I am reminded why I bought it to begin with.

3rd: After nearly 5k, that I put on them, these Dunlops just suck. I will be replacing them with proper motorcycle tires when I get the chance. I want something sticky....scraping the boards and feeling safe at the same time would be cool.

4th: After nearly 5k she and I are beginning to bond. I am not looking down at the speedo as much. AND, my guesses about which gear I am in are getting better....a gear indicator really can't be that expensive....hint, hint, HD. I am beginning to "throw' her around abit more than I did early on. I am becoming more confident...save the tires.

5th: I rode sportbikes for years and I am still not sure how they classify Road Kings as slow. Maybe compared to a Hyabusa...but under normal traffic conditions it can really rip if you ask her nicely. She dances quite well to....if asked politely. AND, riding that wave of torque when you romp on it is quite amazing. Pulls like a locomotive....me likey!!!!

6th: Of all the bikes I have owned/owed this one will become the biggest money pit. I have so many upgrades in my head I cannot believe how many there are. Just need $$$$$.

Well, enough of my silliness. My '04 RK Classic is beginning to suit me quite well. I hope your experience is much the same. Keep the rubber side down.
alii1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
VA Fender Bender

Garage
fun read. Sounds like you have been smiling lately....
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, it is kind of amazing that after all the years thinking HDs were not so hot my back forced me off of the sportbike. I was then talked into trying a RK and was shocked. I couldn't believe how good it was. My test ride was over 70 miles and I was hooked. Yeah, there are some things that I think need changing...don't we all think so. But, overall I find it to be more amazing every day.

Further, I find myself buying more and more genuine HD stuff....it seems to be better made than much of the aftermarket and at a better price, much of the time. This too has been a real shock to me.

I just never figured myself for an HD kind of guy. Guess I was built for comfort and not for speed.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

One thing.. #4
Really gear indicator? One up or one down seems simple to me. I don't need an "idiot" light to tell me to match trans and engine speeds.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

too accustomed to having one. With all the torque hard to tell if 3rd or 4th. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is not nearly so pleasant at from 4th to 3rd.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
I just went for a short ride. I usually commute daily, but I don't get out for a "wandering about" type ride as often as I would like. Rode about 2 hours and returned home. Some impressions:

1st: While I will admit there are some roads around here that cause me to miss my sportbike, I did notice that I seem to be riding at nearly the same speed on those roads. Just doesn't seem like it without looking at the speedo.

2nd: I am so much more comfortable I cannot believe that I am still on a motorcycle. And, I get to haul all kinds of crap with me. Every time I get to go for a longer ride I am reminded why I bought it to begin with.

3rd: After nearly 5k, that I put on them, these Dunlops just suck. I will be replacing them with proper motorcycle tires when I get the chance. I want something sticky....scraping the boards and feeling safe at the same time would be cool.

4th: After nearly 5k she and I are beginning to bond. I am not looking down at the speedo as much. AND, my guesses about which gear I am in are getting better....a gear indicator really can't be that expensive....hint, hint, HD. I am beginning to "throw' her around abit more than I did early on. I am becoming more confident...save the tires.

5th: I rode sportbikes for years and I am still not sure how they classify Road Kings as slow. Maybe compared to a Hyabusa...but under normal traffic conditions it can really rip if you ask her nicely. She dances quite well to....if asked politely. AND, riding that wave of torque when you romp on it is quite amazing. Pulls like a locomotive....me likey!!!!

6th: Of all the bikes I have owned/owed this one will become the biggest money pit. I have so many upgrades in my head I cannot believe how many there are. Just need $$$$$.

Well, enough of my silliness. My '04 RK Classic is beginning to suit me quite well. I hope your experience is much the same. Keep the rubber side down.
Sounds like you're really becoming one with the bike. I like to puff a little chiba too sometimes before I ride.
bensfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

The RK is probably the best all around bike I have ever had. Good to see your enjoying it.
Patriot Guard ID #181788
US Navy Veteran

wndchsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Gear indicator oh please!!
You only got 5 gears to count. Now if you had six then maybe

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1200R View Post
Gear indicator oh please!!
You only got 5 gears to count. Now if you had six then maybe

webco2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

agreed but I am only a lowly science teacher......not a math major!!!