Amazing what just sitting can do - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Amazing what just sitting can do

For whatever reason I got sent home from work 2 hrs early yesterday and didn't feel like going home. I headed up to central tx h-d and as many have stated the touring lineup is hard to go wrong with, the problem is that without a test ride it's hard to narrow it down. I decided to do what I'd do at a car dealership, pop a squat and stay with eyes closed to see how it not only initially felt, but felt over time. I've more or less come to a vast surprise for myself in that the ones that I THOUGHT I wanted didn't pass the over-time test. the road king's seat was tilting me forward in the pelvic area and I didn't like the center of gravity. The full blown ultra/classic rg and eg were just way too much for my riding needs. The street glide was pretty close to perfection except for my height, the gauges are just a little out of my comfort line of sight. All of this leaves one model: the rgc. The one that I wasn't looking at wound up taking me to the prom, to the hotel, and even stayed to make me breakfast in the a.m. She's going to be finding a home in my garage when we get finances in order, we're bringing her home.
Asher1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harley Rider

Garage
Congrats! You will certainly enjoy that bike.
TmikeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting way to fit a ride. Have fun with your dated at the prom!

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Road Glide Custom is identical to the Street Glide, with exception of course to the fairings. I would consider going to the RGC next time over my SG, I just can't get past the RG fairing look. Also, I like to trade fairly often, so I'm not really sure if selling the RGC would be as easy as selling a SG. Just my 2 cents.
2006 Cobalt Blue Street Glide
1998 Tangerine and birch Heritage Softail
and more Hondas than I can remember. 2
emmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

My humble newbie advice here;
Forget about sitting on one in the showroom floor.
Take them for a ride.
Things change on the road.
I've many miles on bikes.
Harley has a free test ride program going on right now in TX.
Look them up.
Try them all if need be.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

This Street glide and the road glide are pretty much the same bite except for the fairing. And they ride pretty much the same until you get into windy conditions then the road glide has the advantage because it handles much better in windy conditions.
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dr. Pending Projects

Agree with some of the comments... take it for a test ride. Even better, rent it for a weekend before you decide to buy.

I went in to buy a Road King Classic and rode out on a Road Glide Custom... no regrets. But you need to ride it to decide which one really suits you best.

2013 Forty-Eight in Ember Red Sunglo
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics
2015 Ducati Panigale 899 (to buy Feb 2015)
2011 HD Road Glide Custom - 103 - Sedona Orange - Gone!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thought the SG was lower to the ground with the stock shock set-up and rode differently than the EGUC, and that the RG was on the same lines as the EGUC for ride comparison , a friend told me this. I sat on a SG and was able to reach ground with flat feet, were as the EGUC was reaching with toes touching, both sock on show room floor. IDK for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote