Deer versus RoadKing - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Glad you are okay.

A buddy of mine had it happen on his sport bike a month ago. He saw the deer, slowed down, everything seemed okay and the deer just took off and broadsided him and his wife.

He does not wear a helmet so when his head bounced off the street is split open and he got 8 staples. The deer hitting him broke a couple ribs. Luckily he is a very large bodybuilder so he took the brunt of the deer and his wife came out with only some road rash.

His Gixser is totaled.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Diezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #22 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
For the fright that the hit gave me the damage is quite minimal.
Still am amazed at how hard that hit was and how little damage...I wonder what would have happened on my sport bikes?
That is one close call. Good job keeping it on the rubber side man!!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

Just went back over to the site....bambi is gone. Don't know if he survived the hit or some redneck is chowing down, but he is gone. Bike seems fine other than the fender damage...rides good.
alii1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rookie for life

I'm gonna go ahead and say that rider experience/reaction had as much to do with the outcome as the bike.

Easter Sunday, 2005. A little doe ran out in front of my then-new 2005 Silverado. I steered away and braked but the damn mongrel autopiloted right into the front right corner. Bumper, fender, grill, radiator, rad support, rad reservoir, etc... a mess, and it had to be towed.

That was maybe a 140 pound deer versus a 5,000 pound truck.

You done good.

2004 FLHTCI, Solid Blue - sold
1998 FLHTCI, Laser Red Pearl - traded
1996 FXDL, black/violet teal - traded
1992 XLCH1200, black - sold

Rockhead261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks. It all happened so fast...even though for me it seemed to be in slow motion, that all I did was react, hard to say exactly what I did. My bike is my main source of transport so we have bonded through a whole bunch of craziness (commuting)....this was our first deer.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
.this was our first deer.
And hopefully your last... great job keeping the shiny side up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

Those critters are tasty...but can't be trusted. Sure glad you're OK.
Finman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Get back on that horse. Lighting strikes only twice, you may have quit riding by the time it strikes again. Good luck. deer is a problem in OK, but I have been fortunate. they have jumped in front of our group ride. but no damage only frayed nerves.
foxduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Garage
Lighting actually strikes multiple times in the same place you just don't see the cycles.

It's a shame about your bike I only hope I can be as lucky when my time comes. I've had enough close calls it's bound to happen eventually.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

There was never a question about continuing to ride....have had much worse get-offs. I rode Sunday as well as continuing to commute daily...even though the weather may not be ideal.

Replacing the fender will cost in excess of $850 according to Harley. Now I just need to talk to the Insurance guys to determine what I am going to do. There could be a modded fender in my future....

Otherwise...I consider the scratches, dents, and dings to be battle scars!! Got a few myself.