Bass Booster Tour-Pak Port Kit - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bass Booster Tour-Pak Port Kit

I can hear my tunes fine while cruising but the bass is very weak. I don't need a huge thump but I'd like to hear more bass. I'm not inclined to upgrade my audio system with amp and speakers but according to the HD website the Bass Booster port kit will increase the base output. Has anyone added this to their Tour Pak?

Side note: I couldn't find this posted anywhere...

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
I have it in mine.
IMO it was worth the money as I didn't want to give up any space by adding a seperate subwoofer.
Is it as good as a seperate subwoofer? No.

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettster View Post
I have it in mine.
IMO it was worth the money as I didn't want to give up any space by adding a seperate subwoofer.
Is it as good as a seperate subwoofer? No.
Hey Vettster, Thanks for the reply. I know it wouldn't be as good a separate sub, but like you, I'm not willing to give up and functional storage space. So it's good to know.

Riding with our Lord!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Knash,

Before you install these, make sure you've done everything you plan to in the tourpak, because once these are installed removing the liner becomes a PITA. So make sure if you plan on replacing your pak lights or adding an aux power port that you do it all at the same time.

I agree with vettster and am glad I installed them in my bike, but the effect is mostly noticeable when the motor is off. I ended up installing new fairing speakers and an amp .... this had a far greater improvement to sound, and also didn't require giving up space (Although can be very pricy). So if you think you may head down that route, perhaps investing the money in the fairing speakers will serve you better. Good Luck.
Rhino40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino40 View Post
Hey Knash,

Before you install these, make sure you've done everything you plan to in the tourpak, because once these are installed removing the liner becomes a PITA. So make sure if you plan on replacing your pak lights or adding an aux power port that you do it all at the same time.

I agree with vettster and am glad I installed them in my bike, but the effect is mostly noticeable when the motor is off. I ended up installing new fairing speakers and an amp .... this had a far greater improvement to sound, and also didn't require giving up space (Although can be very pricy). So if you think you may head down that route, perhaps investing the money in the fairing speakers will serve you better. Good Luck.
Rhino, I'd like to see what your speaker set up looks like. I appreciate the insight on the tour pack. I'm good with a pre-installed 12v and the lights so this may be just the extra I'm looking for.

Thanks

Riding with our Lord!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
Rhino, I'd like to see what your speaker set up looks like. I appreciate the insight on the tour pack. I'm good with a pre-installed 12v and the lights so this may be just the extra I'm looking for.

Thanks
Speakers are focal 165 KRC's and the amp is an Arc Audio KS 125.2 BX2. I got the set-up from Soundz Customz for about $700 including the speaker adaptors and wiring harness ready to go. It requires connecting power and ground from the battery to the amp (wiring included) and the rest is just plug and play.

It did require reolcating my Ipod controller and Stock HK amp, which were both originally on top of the main head unit to the underside of the head unit. This made enough space to allow the install of the Arc Audio amp on top of the head unit.

I used the old speaker grills from my rear speakers and installed them between the inner fairing and the spacers for the focals. The end result is a very plain, stock/stealthy look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121111-01020.jpg (942.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121111-01021.jpg (1.21 MB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121111-01025.jpg (956.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121111-01026.jpg (1.38 MB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121111-01029.jpg (721.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121111-01023.jpg (938.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Speakers are focal 165 KRC's and the amp is an Arc Audio KS 125.2 BX2. I got the set-up from Soundz Customz for about $700 including the speaker adaptors and wiring harness ready to go. It requires connecting power and ground from the battery to the amp (wiring included) and the rest is just plug and play.

It did require reolcating my Ipod controller and Stock HK amp, which were both originally on top of the main head unit to the underside of the head unit. This made enough space to allow the install of the Arc Audio amp on top of the head unit.

I used the old speaker grills from my rear speakers and installed them between the inner fairing and the spacers for the focals. The end result is a very plain, stock/stealthy look.
WOW. How long did this take you? Did you notice an increased response in the bass as well? Thanks again for posting this, impressive that you can do this yourself and I guess if you ever had a broken fairing mount, you'd be able to fix that too.

Riding with our Lord!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
WOW. How long did this take you? Did you notice an increased response in the bass as well? Thanks again for posting this, impressive that you can do this yourself and I guess if you ever had a broken fairing mount, you'd be able to fix that too.
Taking my time was about 2-3 hours. If I had to do it again it wouldn't take much more than an hour or so. I guess it is important to factor in that I have been into mobile audio for 24 years now. The system I put in my mustang, including building custom boxes for 2-12" subs in the trunk took me three days, which is why I refer to this kind of install as plug-and-play.

I helped a buddy with his Zumo 665 install with the fairing mount and we spent almost three hours, I did mine yesterday in under an hour. I suppose I could spend some more time making the wires a little neater, but as much as they are covered by the fairing, I really don't care.

As far as the bass response, these focals absolutely blow away the stock set-up. Not only is it much cleaner and fuller, the volume is considerably increased over the stock set up as well. If i would normally listen between half and 3/4 volume, now i put it bareley over a 1/4, i feel like one of those "hey look at me and my loud stereo" douchebags. Which I do on occasion.

Next I thing i will add in a set of speakers in the lower fairings, I just need to find the right set of 4 ohm speakers for my application.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Taking my time was about 2-3 hours. If I had to do it again it wouldn't take much more than an hour or so. I guess it is important to factor in that I have been into mobile audio for 24 years now. The system I put in my mustang, including building custom boxes for 2-12" subs in the trunk took me three days, which is why I refer to this kind of install as plug-and-play.

I helped a buddy with his Zumo 665 install with the fairing mount and we spent almost three hours, I did mine yesterday in under an hour. I suppose I could spend some more time making the wires a little neater, but as much as they are covered by the fairing, I really don't care.

As far as the bass response, these focals absolutely blow away the stock set-up. Not only is it much cleaner and fuller, the volume is considerably increased over the stock set up as well. If i would normally listen between half and 3/4 volume, now i put it bareley over a 1/4, i feel like one of those "hey look at me and my loud stereo" douchebags. Which I do on occasion.

Next I thing i will add in a set of speakers in the lower fairings, I just need to find the right set of 4 ohm speakers for my application.
Rhino, Again thanks for the comments. I don't mind working on my bike with in limits as I'm not the most technical person but it does interest me that I could do this. I've done some minor upgrades with plug and play components, lighting and etc, not hard so with some time, patience and help from some of my HD buddies. I think that would be the time I'd install the integrated blue tooth as well with the fairing off. I like your comment about "stereo douchebags", made me laugh reading it that my wife asked what was so funny

Riding with our Lord!

Last edited by Knash; 11-12-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Don't be scared to pull the fairing, i pulled mine last night in a minute to take those pics for you. There are three screws at the windshield and 4 on the inside of the fairing, one by each of the spekers and then one on either side under the tripple clamp. They all use a T-27 bit to remove. Getting the fairing to clear the spot lights, and unplugging the headlight can feel a little tricky, but once you realize that rubbing up against the backside of the spotlights doesn't hurt the fairing it's pretty easy.

It's to bad you live so far away, I have a pretty decent detached garage set-up including a 2-post car lift (and a special beverage fridge with a tap like dispenser on the front ) and love working on vehicles on the weekend. Anything to get me out of the house ..... If you end up wanting to try something like this, I will gladly help in any way I can, just let me know.

I see you mentioned Bluetooth. I have my phone connected through the Zumo 665 which also has XM radio with nav traffic and weather. It will track storms along your destination, and with a product called an HDBomm, the cell phone will work seemlessly through the comms headset.