Fairing mounted mirrors for Ultra - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Did you noticed additional buffeting with the longer stems placing the mirrors further out in the wind stream?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Not really. They don't stick out that much further and the fairing is wide enough to be pretty well even with the outer edge of the mirror head. I had pretty much already determined that most of my buffeting is because of the vacuum created by the large "hole" I punch through the air.
I am going to put on a Madstad windshield to hopefully take care of that and maybe Sanchos wings.
wrnchtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

I bought the split vision mirrors for my ultra and didn't really like where the blind spots were. They didn't give me the field of view I was expecting. I actually flipped the sides and mounted them upside down. That helped a little, but the words (object in mirror...) were upside down and that got on my nerves. I went and bought the regular fairing mount mirrors and I like them a lot better. I actually mounted them a little higher than the instructions say.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Im 5'7" and had the same problem. Tried the HD mirror extensions and got the mirrors where I can see behind perfect. A little pricey for what they are but were cheaper than mirrors. After 2 1/2 years they are starting to rust a little bit.

Mirror Extension Kit | Harley-Davidson USA
Wiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Here ya go
91846-03B mirror right long
91848-03B mirror left long

These are the ones I have. The actual stem is longer, between the bend that goes down through the mount point and the back [forward side] of the mirror head itself.
They move the heads OUTWARD, not UP like the extensions do.
$39.95 each
wrnchtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

i am about 6'2 broad shoulders, stock mirrors were useless. i rode a street glide with the fairing mount mirrors and they are the same width, useless. i have a set of Long stem stockers, Right 91846-03B and Left 91848-03B. took less then 5 minutes to install and they fit good. look stock but gives you the extra width needed.
2010hdultra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Old School

I went with the h-d blind spot mirrors, part number 92190-06 , they have a little longer stem and love the blind spot part of it.I don't care for the fairing mount mirrors, all I really see is my elbows.... personal opinion..
Drago's 2 into 1 exhaust
TTS tuner
CVO adjustable rear shocks
C&C custom Sport Touring seat
Detachable hardware/tourpack
Cycle Vision LED taillight/tag mount
J&M Audio 7.25 speaker upgrade
lots misc chrome and enough stuff to keep my wife upset and always more to come

Slick02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
US Army (RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-zer View Post
I've been debating on whether or not to get the fairing mount mirrors. I've tried to adjust the stock mirrors to where my view isn't partially blocked with my arm while riding, but it doesn't seem to be able to adjust that much.

My question (which is a longshot) is: Does anybody roughly my height -- 5'7" have these mirrors? If so, do they block your view at all?

I know I can find a bike with them and sit on them, but it just isn't the same standing still compared to riding and having the wind blowing my leather jacket out a little bit.
I had the same problem. Kuryakyn makes an extention for the stock mirrors that make them stick out a couple more inches. It worked great for me. Mirror Stem Extenders | Handlebar Controls | Küryakyn
Bigbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Did you noticed additional buffeting with the longer stems placing the mirrors further out in the wind stream?

I have noticed no additional wind buffeting with speeds up to 85mph.
I have the HD mirror extenders and they answered all my vision problems.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hmmmm....not I'm not sure if I should get the fairing mounted mirrors or the mirror extenders. I'm going to find a bike today that has fairing mounted mirrors to see how they work for me. There is a Street Glide at my dealer that has them. The Street Glide's seat height is an inch lower than the Electra Glide, except that I had my Electra Glide lowered by 1 inch, so I think (hopefully) it should be similar.