just got my street glide and need help - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

just got my street glide and need help

ok guys sold my 01 fat boy and got myslef a 06 sg. very happy so far but all I can say is the stereo sounds like crap. what are my options. is there a speaker upgrade I can do and if so how hard are the to install...
buddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

plug & play
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Easy enough to do yourself. 07 Ultra a d replaced front speakers with Hogtunes speakers, off E-bay for $80. Makes a big diff. Hogtunes connection fits Harley OEM connection, slide in and off. Had a different set of speakers and the connection didn't fit and was loose. Go to U-tube to find out how to remove the fairing. Found one of my braces was broken. Got some new ones from dealer. After slightly bending the new ones to fit, they worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

tunes

Ok guys, I just bought myself a 06 street glide upgraded from my 01 fat boy. had it out for a little spin. I am finding that the speakers are shot, just doesn't sound good. I want to upgrade my speakers. heard about hog tunes !! i was wondering for some more input! does an amp make a huge differnace is it worth the money or would i just be happy with the speaker upgrade.. Love my music almost the main reason why i upgraded...just hearing lots of mixed thoughts on this. I checked you tube but it is hard to get a good feel for the sound that way..
buddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here's a pic of the braceImageUploadedByMO Free1353082673.568133.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have an 07 SG, did the same thing, i like my tunes too.started with HD Boom audio, nice for a while, then went to J & M with a 250 watt amp. Much better sound, fuller and a bit more bass. Then I added fairing lowers with Fairing Factory 6.5 speaker pods and a new J&M wiring harness to run 4 speakers in series off the amp. Sounded much fuller but still not loud enough at speed.
Now I bit the bullet and went to Arc Audio 500 watt x 4 channel, 6.5 speakers in fairing and lowers and this thing will rock your socks off.
BTW I have my J&M stuff for sale in the classified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (972.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Check out Hawg-Wired.com. They make some really quality components, and the customer service is excellent. You will pay more than Hogtunes, but good ain't cheap, and cheap ain't good!
2006 Cobalt Blue Street Glide
1998 Tangerine and birch Heritage Softail
and more Hondas than I can remember. 2
emmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

If you play nothing but the Grateful Dead, it really won't matter what kind of shape your speakers are in, now will it?

NOTE TO THE MEMBERSHIP - before you flame me, understand that I too like all of the songs on American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, but let's be honest here - you all know I'm right....

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

"I found the name of the band in a dictionary one day at Phil's house. I'm wasn't sure what it meant at the time, but as soon as I saw those two words juxtaposed I said to myself "Yeah, that's it!"

-- Jerry Garcia
City Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
I'm starting with this new set of 7.25" speakers from J&M. J&M Perf 7.25 Fairing Speaker kit 06-12 Street/Ultra/ElectraGlide (HCSK-7252GTM) by J&M Audio - It's the same set-up Baldy Locks has for sale. I'm just doing the speakers for now and will likely add the amp later. Most people really like this set-up. I think that's all I'm gonna need.