V and H air cleaner - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

V and H air cleaner

Just installed V and H air cleaner (V02), seems a big diff from the SE version of the stage 1 AC. Product went on easy and made a difference in performance. IMO, V and H had a bigger intake hole and some polished piece that sits on the intake. I don't know what it does but the SE version doesn't have. Any one know what it does? And should I get rid of stock air cleaner cover to get more air in .? ImageUploadedByMO Free1353083764.203541.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1353083880.550197.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1353084021.043663.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

I had the arlen ness big sucker, taking the stock backing plate off pretty much let all the air possible into the filter, there is no restriction using the stock cover. As far as the polished peice, it just allows air to flow with out the restrictions of the se casting marks, gives it a smoother surface to flow across.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice to know, thanks.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old School

Just a collar to cut down turbulence (kinda like a velocity stack does in a drag car) as airflow enters the efi unit.
Drago's 2 into 1 exhaust
TTS tuner
CVO adjustable rear shocks
C&C custom Sport Touring seat
Detachable hardware/tourpack
Cycle Vision LED taillight/tag mount
J&M Audio 7.25 speaker upgrade
lots misc chrome and enough stuff to keep my wife upset and always more to come

Slick02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Upchuck,
Does the V&H air filter stick out further then the stock one did? I've I had issues in the past with not enough room for my knee. Thanks
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

It does stick out more, the filter is taller than the stock, but with the stock cover on, I didn't notice any real Change as far as my knee touching the cover. ImageUploadedByMO Free1353467403.195040.jpg hope that helps, the bike really goes now, not sluggish any more, especially at 65 mph and faster and in 6 gear! Best and cheapest thing I've done to the Ultra. Headers, fuel pak and air cleaner.
I been looking into the SE air cover I saw at the dealer. Just covers the air filter element but is opened on the side. Smaller than stack cover.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

ImageUploadedByMO Free1353469631.925380.jpg

Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Upchuck;660523]It does stick out more, the filter is taller than the stock, but with the stock cover on, I didn't notice any real Change as far as my knee touching the cover. Attachment 34466 hope that helps, the bike really goes now, not sluggish any more, especially at 65 mph and faster and in 6 gear! Best and cheapest thing I've done to the Ultra. Headers, fuel pak and air cleaner.
I been looking into the SE air cover I saw at the dealer. Just covers the air filter element but is opened on the side. Smaller than stack cover.

Thanks for the info,I sort of like the Duke cover V&H has for it but I like to see one up close before I spring for the extra cash.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Millwright

My only hesitation with using the stock cover is that it is forced to pull warmer air from around the top end of the motor as opposed to one that is open to air from all sides, or in many cases from the air coming at the bike while moving as with the front opening style, the HD Heavy Breather is one of many of this type...

103" w/Race Kit,Stage IV 117HP 111TQ
SE 259E Cams
SE Heavy Breather AC (Scott's modified)
SE Race Tuner
V&H Power Duals & Hi Outputs
SE CNC Heads 10.62/1 w/SE 58mm TB
John Scott port matching
Renegade Racine wheels. 21x3.5/ 17x6.25
http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...845-petew.html
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
My only hesitation with using the stock cover is that it is forced to pull warmer air from around the top end of the motor as opposed to one that is open to air from all sides, or in many cases from the air coming at the bike while moving as with the front opening style, the HD Heavy Breather is one of many of this type...
I never thought of this, does it really make any kind a difference?

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote