What is best Headset for HD Ultra? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

What is best Headset for HD Ultra?

I have heard the Harley Davidson factory headsets are expensive and the sound quality isn't very good. I'm looking for quality speakers for music and clear intercom reception/sound. I have a friend that rides a GoldWing and swears by his Edsets headset. I've been to their website and they have Ultra compatible headsets like the GoldWing riders use. Has anybody tried them yet?
sjBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Haven't tried them, I use a blue Thooth set from Cardo, scala rider. I can talk to my wife , answer my cell phone, listen to music (from I-pod on phone) all cordless, pretty cool. I can talk to other riders also but the have to have the same brand. I just listen to the cd or radio over the speaker system, on my ultra, changed the speakers thou to some Hog tunes and made a great difference in sound and level. ImageUploadedByMO Free1353807760.528151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Scala rider are the way to go. Use them since 4 years. If you have more than one bike it is even more use full. I have a Zumo 660 GPS and it works great with them. If I had the Roadtech Zumo, I would use the set that came with the bike, cause you can adapt it to the radio.
Ride safe
Werner
1999 FLHR Road King "Scratchy" Vivid Black R.I.P. killed 07.19.2011 by a stupid and blind cage driving kid
1992 XL Sportster 1200 1st Harley and a pain in the neck
harleywern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

In the past I've used J&M helmet speakers with very good results. A few months ago I bought a Nolan Trilogy helmet which has an optional speaker kit for Harley that integrates nicely with the helmet. It's about a hundred for the kit plus whatever you pay for the helmet......got the best deal on mine from Revzilla.com.
HOGNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used the Scalar Q2 head set for 10 day trip to Canada this summer with my buddy. Sound quality is very good when full helmet is used. With open face helmet, I could hear the wind noise and forced the units to be connected all the time. I heard that you can put a bigger sponge on the mic to avoid this. Fully charged battery lasted 10 hour riding on one day constantly connected due to the wind noise like this and we were really impressed.

I would use this for communication only tho. (Cell/Passenger or Buddy Talk) Music quality really sucks and the built in FM radio is a joke.
Junster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck View Post
Haven't tried them, I use a blue Thooth set from Cardo, scala rider. I can talk to my wife , answer my cell phone, listen to music (from I-pod on phone) all cordless, pretty cool. I can talk to other riders also but the have to have the same brand. I just listen to the cd or radio over the speaker system, on my ultra, changed the speakers thou to some Hog tunes and made a great difference in sound and level. Attachment 34560

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Does the Scala work only on full face and 3/4 helmets? I have been looking at them, but the OL and I ride with a 1/2 helmet most of the year and I just didn't see how they could be mounted used a 1/2, no place to mount the ear piece.
The object in life is not to arrive in a pristine well taken care of body; rather it is to slide in sideways, body thoroughly used up, a drink in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming "That was one HELL of a ride!!!"
Tom31w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjBiker View Post
I have heard the Harley Davidson factory headsets are expensive and the sound quality isn't very good. I'm looking for quality speakers for music and clear intercom reception/sound. I have a friend that rides a GoldWing and swears by his Edsets headset. I've been to their website and they have Ultra compatible headsets like the GoldWing riders use. Has anybody tried them yet?
I see you live in Georgia. EdSets is located in Warner Robins, GA. Stop by and see what they have and get a demo.
Bama Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just Riding Around!

Garage
I have to give a thumbs up to the J&M units. I haven't used their stand alone kits in an unmodified helmet. However, I bought their Arai helmet which comes direct from them with their headset professionally installed by them.

The sound quality coming out of that is head and shoulders above the stock H-D units. I have the stock unit in reserve and I put it in the helmet of anyone I have riding on the back.

The only drawback to the J&M set up I have is the unit is in there permanently. There's no changing it between helmets. I don't mind since I have multiple helmets depending on conditions and what kind of riding I plan on doing. Solo road trips often have my open face Shoei and the EG fairing speakers going. Group rides have the J&M Arai so I can communicate and listen to my music without bothering the others around me. Cold weather has the Shoei MultiTech keeping me warm. I sometimes put the H-D unit in that if I'm going on a group ride.

American Legion
Legion Riders
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin
bkmaxvrb is offline   Reply With Quote