Best Seat for Back Injury - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

I have back issues I have found a backrest, Air hawk,good grips and pegs make a world of difference. I also run minimum air pressure in my shocks.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

does the harley sundowner seat move you any closer to the bars? with the stock street glide seat i need to move about 1" closer but i dont want to sit much higher than stock.
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
I did two things that really improved the ergos on my '12 SG. I just put on Wild 1 chubby bars model number WO575. They move the handlebar position up a couple inches and back a couple inches. No cable changes needed. They are much more comfortable than stock. I also went with a Corbin classic solo seat with drivers backrest. I know you don't like Corbin, but I think any quality seat with a drivers backrest would really help you. Even a stock UG seat with driver's backrest as suggested earlier might be good. My bike is much more comfortable now and I can easily ride out a tankful and have much less fatique at the end of the day. Here's a link to the bars I put on. Wild 1 Chubby Handlebars.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

I agree 100% with all those that recommend a back rest. I know a lot of guys don't like the look...ruins the lines and makes it look sissy...BS!!! I injured my back in May and couldn't ride more than 50 miles before I had to stop and take a break. I was going on a 2,600 mile road trip in July and knew I wasn't gonna make it with my back the way it was. Through some recommendations here in the forums I found the perfect back rest for my Heritage at a reasonable price on eBay. The back rest, in conjunction with well-placed highway pegs, saved the trip. I was able to do 450-500 miles a day with no problem whatsoever.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

The Sundowner seat did not move me any closer to the bars. It did have a wider width ( for your ass to sit in) and a little higher back height , for back support. Of course the Softail standard seat is a two up seat with no wide setting area. Harley makes a Reach seat which moves you 1 inch forward and 1 inch down. I didn't like the reach on the Ultra as it was less comfortable. Not as much padding. Went back to stocked Ultra seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Retired Army

In my search for comfort for my bad back Ive tried a few seats, what I ended up with raised me up pretty good but its a comfortable ride. The Harley Hammock seat is by far the most comfortable seat I have tried. I only use it for long trips or when the wife is riding. I have a sundowner as well and when broken in it is comfortable, but my wife doesnt ride as much as me and after a half hour of riding was getting sore. No issues with the dual hammock seat for either of us. I also switched out the stock shocks for ohlins and put progressive monotubes in the front, got a riders back rest and installed the 10" bars so I don't have to reach anymore.
Everything together cost a lot but I did it over time and it was worth it.

When I just ride around time I strip the bike back down to a street glide but when I have the wife or want comfort this is how it looks.

Even in street glide mode it rides better with the front and rear shocks and bars, and I keep the back rest in my saddle bag in case I need it!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Get a used police air seat on ebay. Cops ride this bike for a living.
Just scored a like new one for $100 including pump, brackets, and cover ! 2013's went to springs. Get a 2009 (08 ?) to 12.
Plus it just looks killer.

I'm trying to see if I can fit one behind it for the wife. May have to go springs vs air sack. Mustang makes a drop in pillion seat if not.
I've seen pics of old school Harleys with Dual solo seats.
Funky cool.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fox View Post
i purchase a new 2013 flhx street glide and need a new seat for it. a couple of yrs. back i suffered a back injury resulting in a couple of surguries. now when i ride after 40-50 miles my tailbone and lower back really starts to hurt.
so this brings me to ask which seat offers the best support/ride quality? i have had mustangs and corbins but no real success. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?
Tour sore tail bone raises a red flag. Have you thought about a custom seat? Maybe someone could make it so you don't have so much pressure on your tail bone. I'm sure someone here can make a recommendation for a good seat maker.
NC King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

I am not back pain free. No surgery, but problems from being a crazy youth. The sundowner has a larger lip in the lower tail-bone area that seems to support me real well. No back rest is needed for me. I can go for hours. I don't think it put me closer to the bars. I may try to adjust them a little at some point, but it is pretty close as a stock setup for me.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

i ended up going with the cyclepedic from rush. it has the cut out section for your tailbone. seems to be doing pretty well so far i just have not had time to put many miles on it and get it broken in.
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote