Best Seat for Back Injury - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Best Seat for Back Injury

i purchase a new 2013 flhx street glide and need a new seat for it. a couple of yrs. back i suffered a back injury resulting in a couple of surguries. now when i ride after 40-50 miles my tailbone and lower back really starts to hurt.
so this brings me to ask which seat offers the best support/ride quality? i have had mustangs and corbins but no real success. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?
Robert Fox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
I think a stock Ultra or Electraglide Classic seat would work for you.

Keep you eyes peeled for take-offs from 2011's & up and save yourself a pile o cash.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

do you have rider back rest?
and are your handle bars right for your posture?
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Had a sundowner on my 03 ImageUploadedByMO Free1353807207.820029.jpgImageUploadedByMO Free1353807275.560207.jpgSoftail standard, with some pegs on the highway bars. It was really good on my back. L4 and 5 are screwed up. But would only go about 30 miles before taken a break. Then I got me a 07 ultra and I went 3 hours before taken a piss stop. Stock seat with a back rest and the posture was different than a Softail. Maybe the combo of all did the trick? Put some pegs on the highway bars and lean back enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Upchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckanear007 View Post
do you have rider back rest?
and are your handle bars right for your posture?
As mentioned above riders back rest and the correct bars for you are a huge.

The single biggest thing that helped my neck and back while riding was bars at the right height and wrist position.

I have a fused spine at L3, L4 and L5. I can make if for 2-3 hours and am fine without a back rest. Any longer than that or if we go for a week long ride then the back rest is on. I am running a Roadglide seat on an Electra Glide Classic.

If I take the Softail out I wear a lower back brace and keep the rides short
Doug53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks guys. i do find myself having to reach for the bars and i do agree that a backrest could help. if i do change bars what would be a good recomendation?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Earthbound misfit, I

I have a junkyard in my spine and I'm a cheap bastard so I solved my similar problem with a set of risers and take-off donor bars and I fabricated a backrest. Made all the difference.

Happiness is a fat dog. Don't believe me? Go ask my dogs.
Labradaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have a '12 Ultra and I'm 6'5" so for me the Tall Boy seat and back rest works well and is comfortable but, MY PEGS..., now that is where I can get comfortable for the long ride. I have adjusted the pegs on the highway bars and that also can help to reduce the pressure on my legs and/or my rear end. I have the Kuryaken ISO-Stirrups with Large ISO-Pegs.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knash View Post
I have a '12 Ultra and I'm 6'5" so for me the Tall Boy seat and back rest works well and is comfortable but, MY PEGS..., now that is where I can get comfortable for the long ride. I have adjusted the pegs on the highway bars and that also can help to reduce the pressure on my legs and/or my rear end. I have the Kuryaken ISO-Stirrups with Large ISO-Pegs.

i have the same highway pegs but not the stirrups. mine are mounted kinda low on the crash bar so i can let my heel rest on the floorboard and the ball of my foot is on the peg. i also added the 3/4" floorboard spacers from kuryakyn to move the boards out away from the frame. that seemed to help a little bit too. now it doesnt feel like i am hugging the tank with my legs. i am really looking at a harley sundowner seat with a drivers backrest. that seat looks really comfortable.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Take a look at the Rush Cycle Pedic channel seat. It is the only seat specifically made for back issues.
Hijackak is online now   Reply With Quote