trikes - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

trikes

what you think of harley trikes.was thinking of trikeing a cvo electra glide.i was never on a trike,so wld like some advice.
rockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Location: Veracruz, Ver. Mexico (I rarely take off my flack jacket. ;-)
Here's one that I did a while back:
Vettster's trike project

It's still a work in progress as I have a bunch of parts (1200 conversion, forward controls, tour pack) to install.

Biggest difference is that you "drive" a trike where you "ride" a bike.(no leaning, no countersteering)
Don't listen to the naysayers that always come up with the "trikes are unstable" or "yer gonna tip over" BS.
Biggest drawback is the footprint. You have 3 tires on the ground going down 3 different areas of the road. Potholes are a bitch.
What else do you want to know?

2010, FLTRX W/ SE 120R.

Welcome to the forum. One of the best places on Al Gores interweb.
If you are new, why not mosey on over to the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your bike.

IBA#44072
Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

My old man has the HD Trike..He loves it..Has had Harleys for years, now that hes older, it's perfect for him..Still on a HD, dont need to worry about balance..Just roll

Once you go Bagger, you don't come back
JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
The only problem with Trikes is you basically have a vehicle with one contact patch for steering and two of a different size for the rear.

It doesn't have the same traction characteristics of a car or a motorcycle while cornering. I've never driven a Trike however I've driven and been on Tricycle tractors and the now outlawed 3 wheelers.

Neither of those were dangerous as long as you realized their limitations which centered around while traveling perpendicular to an incline or on a wooden bridge with raised decking for autos at high speed.

Neither of those situations other than maybe the bridge if you are in some isolated part of the country are likely to be applicable.

I don't see any more "danger" in riding a Trike than a two wheel motorcycle or anything else as long as you use your head for something other than a mount for your helmet.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 09 Tri-Glide that we have put over 35,000 miles on since we got it new. It is our travel bike now. We have done plenty of 2 wheel travel on our previous Harleys. I've been riding over 45 years.

Trikes do ride different than 2 wheelers but it isn't much to get used to.

One downer that has been brought up, you do have 3 points of contact so it is just about imposable to miss the potholes and ruts in the rode.
wiltat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Both parents have goldwings triked with the tow-pac insta trike kit. Weve been to the beach a few.times and they both love them. And if you decide to ride 2 wheels, take out 3- bolts and your back to a bike. Also if you decided to trade you can keep the kit and get new mount for new bike. Alot les costly also.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote