How to maintain in winter??? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

How to maintain in winter???

Hey everybody. I have a 2010 street glide. I live in oregon so unfortunately I won't be able to ride much the next 5 months or so due to the weather. I was wanting to know what I need to do while my bike is resting in the garage for the winter. Do I need to add anything to gas tank, do I need to start it once a week let it run for a few minutes, etc etc..... I've heard different things to do but wanted to get some advice from the experts here���������� any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all in advance for your replies. �� Sorry posted same thread a couple times. New to site didn't think my phone was working. Whoops I don't need to here from the thread nazis. Find something better to worry about

Last edited by Pdxglide; 11-25-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Pdxglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

You need to move to a better climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Mad Dog 64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
get a nice Deltran Junior Float Charger and put on the battery....I use Seafoam in gas but live in Texas were there is no such thing as putting one away...lol...or you could use Stabil but its harder on the internals....Just make sure your battery don't sulfate in the cold weather....I guess if I lived where you live I would try and start it at least once a week and let it idle a little while...or put a heat lamp under the bike....or you could bring it over here....lol....
mgosset1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Freedom Fighter

Stabilize the fuel for sure. Is your garage heated? If so, you dont really need to do much but start it now and then.... Super cold weather = no good for a battery not in use...
maddogv21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do NOT Idle the bike once a week!!!! If you start your bike, you should at the very least planning on riding it for 30-45 min. Your engine has to get up to normal operating temp. This will ensure the water / condensation gets hot enough to evaporate out of the engine. Just going out and starting the bike once a week will cause you to build up condensation that leads to bad oil, rusting from the inside out, and the list goes on. Try to search "winter storage" - lots of good info! But basically change the fluids, hook up to battery tender, add gas agent , and let her sit

Jared
2012 FXDWG
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fill tank put stabile in fuel . Let it run a couple min. Change engine oil and filter. Plug battery in with battery tender. Don't start it unless you let it run long enough to reach operating temp. Letting it run just a couple min will only cause condensation in the motor. I live in Canada so my bike is away for a couple of months.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Motorcycle.com Free App
mayo73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Keep riding....

Rode all year in North Dakota once....can't be worse than that!

Seriously, quit your job, sell the house, head south until they don't understand dressing in layers.
alii1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
100k Harley,100kBMW

Use fuel stabalizer, a mini-charger, don't run it. Cover it up. End.
Biker1boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
IAFF local 845

Garage
+1. Keep riding. You can ride between storms when the roads are dry. I'm an Oregonian as well. Get a heated jacket and ride
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
You got a bike idling in the garage that has no radiator; how long do you think its going to take to come up to operating temps...lol....the answer is pretty damn quick...have never hurt one yet letting it idle on cold days....only place your collecting any condensation will be in the vented gas tank and carbs if you have them...your not making any water letting it idle....where do ya'll come up with all this...?...worse thing you can do to any motor is not run it.....trust me i got tractors, four wheelers, mowers, dirt bikes, chain saws and you name it....never had moisture issues and i crank them all during the winter months when not in use.....Best to do what Alii said; keep riding and don't store it...
mgosset1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.