How to Unsag a Tour Pack - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

How to Unsag a Tour Pack

Instead of covering old ground I'd like to know if someone else has had this problem and what they did. My tour pack is pretty good sized, which is great, the down stroke is by the time I'm done with a trip the bottom is sagged on the sides. This is from the bungie cords holding it down to the rack or the back seat. I was thinking of cutting a board and putting that on the bottom. Any other thoughts or ideas out there.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Hey Gold! Got any photos? Is it a hard bag? I assume it's not.

If not, and you're mounting it over a fender rack or the bitch pad (whatever you have), using a board will only work if:

A: It's actually UNDER the bag, or;

B: If it's just stuck IN the bag, it won't do any good as it's really not providing any structural integrity to the bag itself, unless it's somehow integrated into the inside bottom of the bag.

Why, exactly, is it bad if it's sagging? Admitting to "I'm just being anal" is a perfectly viable answer here, by the way. After all the money we spend on making our bikes look great, I think "being anal" is part and parcel of the process for all of us and certainly to be expected (so don't take that the wrong way).

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

he said "anal"... becarefull or there will be some ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE TYPES wanting that word removed ..along with that retard word...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforktx View Post
he said "anal"... becarefull or there will be some homos wanting that word removed ..along with that retard word...
Removed from the thread and placed upon their brow. Or their schnitzel.

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo44 View Post
Hey Gold! Got any photos? Is it a hard bag? I assume it's not.

If not, and you're mounting it over a fender rack or the bitch pad (whatever you have), using a board will only work if:

A: It's actually UNDER the bag, or;

B: If it's just stuck IN the bag, it won't do any good as it's really not providing any structural integrity to the bag itself, unless it's somehow integrated into the inside bottom of the bag.

Why, exactly, is it bad if it's sagging? Admitting to "I'm just being anal" is a perfectly viable answer here, by the way. After all the money we spend on making our bikes look great, I think "being anal" is part and parcel of the process for all of us and certainly to be expected (so don't take that the wrong way).
Its the bag in my avatar, but it does not show the sag at the bottom, the tour bag is soft. You pretty much nailed it, a board looks like a rig, I hate rigs on my bike. Problem is they didn't give a lot of places to secure the pack to the bike, as a result when I pack it I bungie the ever lovin crap out of it. The sag becomes a pain because as I am packing on the second or third day, I have to keep pulling the damn thing up. Running out of space real quick is a good indicator I forgot. More of a space issue rather than an anal thing.

I'll admit to being anal about my bike thats true, no offense at all.

After all I don't want any tickets from the H-D Clean Police.... thats another B.S. story for another day

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeforktx View Post
he said "anal"... becarefull or there will be some ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE TYPES wanting that word removed ..along with that retard word...

Fixed that did ya...liked it the first time... isn't it equipmently challenged... saying HQmQ: is just wrong...... awww crap did I type that??

Quote:
Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGold View Post
Its the bag in my avatar, but it does not show the sag at the bottom, the tour bag is soft. You pretty much nailed it, a board looks like a rig, I hate rigs on my bike. Problem is they didn't give a lot of places to secure the pack to the bike, as a result when I pack it I bungie the ever lovin crap out of it. The sag becomes a pain because as I am packing on the second or third day, I have to keep pulling the damn thing up. Running out of space real quick is a good indicator I forgot. More of a space issue rather than an anal thing.

I'll admit to being anal about my bike thats true, no offense at all.

After all I don't want any tickets from the H-D Clean Police.... thats another B.S. story for another day
Well, there is a third alternative... If you build an internal box-like structure of sorts, that would also do it. If you do this, try to build it as close to spec (the internal size of the bag) as possible.

Here's what I would suggest just from the top of my head...

Go get some FRP (Fibre-Reinforced Plastic) at Home Depot. Cut a piece that you can roll up and glue/rivet/fasten any way you like, like a barrel. Make a bottom for it out of wood and just use Gorilla tape or something easy. Slip it in and you got your internal hardbag liner.

Also, check to see if they already make one. I know they make 'em for the saddlebags.

If not, try finding an office-sized trash can (just guessing as I don't know how big the bag is) and use that.

Another way is to grab some star board and fiberglass and fashion one out of that.

I think it's an easy fix if you use a little creativity.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Imperial Wizard...

gold how about a piece of alum.in the bottom for support.thin, light weight, ect ect..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Another thing. Can you get me a Brand and model number?? I can BARELY see it in your avatar. Want see what I can find or come up with as additional alternatives.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo44 View Post
Another thing. Can you get me a Brand and model number?? I can BARELY see it in your avatar. Want see what I can find or come up with as additional alternatives.

I'll dig that out when I get home, I wanna say I got it at Leather up but not sure and I don't know the size off the top of my head..... great ideas guys!!! Thanks

Quote: