1999 Twin Cam New Cam Support Plate, Tensioners & High Volume oil Pump - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

1999 Twin Cam New Cam Support Plate, Tensioners & High Volume oil Pump

I have a 1999 Roadking First thing I can tell you and most important is the Cam Support plate. I blew out my rear cam bearing in 2001 and upgraded my cam's with the high lift Andrews 209. if the rear cam bearings have not been replaced in your bike get it done. 6 months later I blew out my lower end and that may have been due to junk from the rear cam bearing blowing.

I have since upgraded my engine to 95 and I recently upgrade the cam support plate with hydraulic cam tensioners & High Volume oil pump. Now their is one major thing you must know if you do this upgrade since the engine is a 99 (not 99A) you must add a screw to the support back of the support plate where the tube for the oil flow would go for the new engines with the counter balance. See photo and the hole needs to be tapped first and a screw (HD #94667-00) with crush washer blue loctite . ( See Photos (Harley Davidson Forum: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forums)
roadkiller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

1999 had an extra oil passage in the block for the 1999 cam plate. You can upgrade your cam plate to a 2000 model or the 2007-up hydraulic unit and the oil port will need to be blocked off. HD sells a kit.

If using the high volume HD oil pump, you must use the 2007-up support plate as the oil pump sealing face will not work on a 2006-older cam plate.

As well, the 1999 (99A) oil pump is different than the 99B oil pump in that the shim is now 2 shims instead of one thick one and a wave washer was added to keep tension on the veins to not allow for movement and oil psi loss.

The OEM inner cam bearings are INA bearings that lack every other needle bearing. They're not recommended for use by any cam mfg company with any higher lift can due to higher down force and pressure. Torrington makes a replacement. B138 for Evo, B148 for tc88s, B158 for tc96s and so on.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

1999 Twin Cam Cam Support Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
1999 had an extra oil passage in the block for the 1999 cam plate. You can upgrade your cam plate to a 2000 model or the 2007-up hydraulic unit and the oil port will need to be blocked off. HD sells a kit.

If using the high volume HD oil pump, you must use the 2007-up support plate as the oil pump sealing face will not work on a 2006-older cam plate.

As well, the 1999 (99A) oil pump is different than the 99B oil pump in that the shim is now 2 shims instead of one thick one and a wave washer was added to keep tension on the veins to not allow for movement and oil psi loss.

The OEM inner cam bearings are INA bearings that lack every other needle bearing. They're not recommended for use by any cam mfg company with any higher lift can due to higher down force and pressure. Torrington makes a replacement. B138 for Evo, B148 for tc88s, B158 for tc96s and so on.
Dave that is why I did this post...Funny thing not too many people know about it the secret SCREW for 99 not 99A or 99B. ...It took me several tries and talking to 4 different Mechanics before I finally got the right direction. This is why I put this post out there people are buying up these 99's at a good price but need to know how to make them better.
roadkiller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I'm all about the secret screw, bro.....
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

I will say owning a 99 that anyone buying one or early TC's will find this info rather quickly if they do their due diligence.

A simple www. search will yield plenty of reading on the early Inner Bearing failures and people that caught it in time and those that didn't.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

The hilarious part is, HD knew this bearing had a failure capacity in the Evo engine but used it in the TC engine. Granted the thought process was 2 cams .....half the pressure.

The cage was changed from plastic to metal.

Finally, or at least at my dealership, if you ask for an inner bearing, you get a Torrington bearing with a superseded number and not an INA any more.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
I will say owning a 99 that anyone buying one or early TC's will find this info rather quickly if they do their due diligence.

A simple www. search will yield plenty of reading on the early Inner Bearing failures and people that caught it in time and those that didn't.

Bro, is that chick in your avatar pic in any way related to you? ... because how you respond to that question will decide my next post.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Bro, is that chick in your avatar pic in any way related to you? ... because how you respond to that question will decide my next post.

-Rohan
Unfortunately no... so fire away...
I think I know exactly where yer heading

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
Unfortunately no... so fire away...
I think I know exactly where yer heading

I'd like to find her secret screw...
I think if I turn it I can make oil come out.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote