Harley and Their Ridiculous Prices - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

I agree, the entire backrest set up for any Harley is silly expensive. Especially when most of the other parts are reasonably priced, the sissy bars and luggage really stand out as over priced.

It's Harley's little cash cow and a way to make those of us that don't have a bagger look more seriously at them.

My FXDF

$300+ for a backrest

$100 for a fender rack

$700+ for lockable bags

$300+ for a windshield

Damn, a touring model is looking cheaper and cheaper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Make it out of wood.
Diezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was a wuss and ponied up for both rider and passenger backrests, luggage rack, etc. The HD stuff may be expensive, but it fits great, works well, hopefully will last quite a while. Plus, I purchased a used bike so I could afford all the schtuff I knew I would want. But, hey, ya spend 22k on bike whats another 1 or 2??
alii1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
TGPNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I don't mind paying for the backrest, I'm more pissed that it's $200 for a sissy bar without a pad when their website shows it WITH a pad and has no disclaimer about a pad being separate. Had to ask my local dealer if it came with the pad even though I kinda knew it anyway.
Think you should reread HD product descriptions and quit whining. Which backrest did you buy (p/n)?
93horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Another thing, if you think HD is expensive, go look at official Victory accessories, some of them make HD look very cheap!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
I was a wuss and ponied up for both rider and passenger backrests, luggage rack, etc. The HD stuff may be expensive, but it fits great, works well, hopefully will last quite a while. Plus, I purchased a used bike so I could afford all the schtuff I knew I would want. But, hey, ya spend 22k on bike whats another 1 or 2??
a harley payment lol

You are just the bullseye in the center
Marknett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93horse View Post
Think you should reread HD product descriptions and quit whining. Which backrest did you buy (p/n)?
Go back and read one of my earlier replies. I said the website shows the pad on the bar and does NOT state that the pad doesn't come with it. Next time you want to come into my thread and be a dick at least make sure you read what I typed. Ya know, so you don'took like a fool.

And I didn't buy any backrest yet I just bought the 4 point docking system.

As for who asked "What's another $1-2k?" Well, it's a whole lotta gas! And about 7 payments. Or 3 years of insurance for said Harley.

2010 FXDWG - 18,363 miles of good times. Gone, but not forgotten.

Creator of the annual Illinois Meth Head run. Because riding isn't fun unless you're tweaking and beating up senior citizens!
AndyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWendtinc View Post
Make it out of wood.
This truly made me laugh. Hahahaha

2010 FXDWG - 18,363 miles of good times. Gone, but not forgotten.

Creator of the annual Illinois Meth Head run. Because riding isn't fun unless you're tweaking and beating up senior citizens!
AndyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Garage
like every one has said, keep your eyes out on e-bay and this and other forums to find what you need. i have found many parts for 1/2 price and lower here and there, they do show up!
RonHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mr. MojoRisen

Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright - Short, Chrome

The ideal match for Low-Profile® Custom and Badlander® seats, this backrest is 2" shorter than the standard height upright. The one-piece upright accepts Short Backrest Pads (sold separately), and features easy on-and-off detachable convenience. Requires separate purchase of Docking Hardware.

52610-09

View 1

Fits '09-later Touring models (except FLHTCUSE4/5/6/7/8, FLTRUSE and Trike) equipped with required Docking Kits. FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK and FLTRU require separate purchase of Detachable Tour-Pak® Rack Kit P/N 53246-09A.

MSRP US $179.95

Download Instruction Sheet

Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright - Short, Chrome | Harley-Davidson USA

I cut and pasted the above from the Harley Web site. I bolded the "sold separately".
I found a back rest from a member here for $50. Keep looking, you will find something that will not feel like you a re being raped.

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~~James D. Miles

2009 - Road Glide

US NAVY - CPO Retired
P3fltEng is offline   Reply With Quote