First service - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Yea, real tough guy.

To answer your question directly Glide, the dealer should have fixed the problem under warranty. Call HD directly and speak with them, see what they say.
AEC(AW/NAC), USN (Ret.)
Widows Sons Masonic Riders Association

Naphtali Tribe
Guardian of Membership
Road Captain
RDU1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

RDU1961 thanks as of today my dealer said no charge to me. But next time it isn't part of the service at 1k. I will be doing all my oil changes I can.
glide rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

My alternator (stator) was crap from the factory brand new.
For the price we pay for these bikes and the (lack of) technology in them they had best be GOLDEN out the door.

Shame on Harley.

They want you to pay because their NEW steering bearings were crap ?!?!

I guess they would rather pay a wrongful death lawsuit.
lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide rider View Post
RDU1961 thanks as of today my dealer said no charge to me. But next time it isn't part of the service at 1k. I will be doing all my oil changes I can.
Don't hesitate to buy the HD owners manual. Start reading now. This is the best advice I can give or have gotten. The sooner you take it, the better. Search my threads for a handful of reasons why. Good luck.

Chief Illiniwek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

you'd be supprised how many steering head bearings come not fully greased from the factory. when i installed apul yippes 12" bagger bars on my '09 tri-glide i greased the bearring. and is wasn fully ghreased. took almost 10 min. to hand pump the grease gum till i got grease out the lower bearing.
DON'T FORGET to do the keenex cleanup after you rife the bike. & do it again too as grease ooses out.
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

I read somewhere (another forum) that checking and greasing the steering head bearings was unneccessary for the first several maintenance intervals, and the person who posted this opinion on another forum said that this procedure was simply included in each service interval as a way for the dealers to charge more money for the services (idea being that they did extra work which was not necessarily needed.)
Here's the problem I have with that concept - given the dynamics associated with riding a motorcycle, any motorcycle, it makes sense to ensure that your fluid levels are correct, fasteners are tightened to factory-prescribed tolerances, and every possible thing is copacetic before you drive out onto the highway and blast down the road at some illegal speed on a machine built by fallible individuals, serviced by people who can make mistakes, and subject to stresses unique to its design and purpose.
Having said that, believe it or not, at my 1K mile service, the Tech forgot to tighten the steering head bearings after servicing them. It was about 50 miles later when I got a wobble at 55 mph that scared the heck out of me. I took the bike back to the Dealer, who promptly fixed the issue, admitted fault, and apologized with a $50 gift card that I used to help buy some winter riding gloves from their apparel section.
The point of all of this babble?
No matter how much I want to believe that I can just pay The Man and be confident in the service at any dealership or indie, I am quickly realizing that anyone who owns a bike had better be prepared to have the skills to perform basic fluid changes and simple preventative maintenance checks and operations.
I am therefore reading as many forums, and watching demonstrative videos on Youtube, as I can, buying a tool here and there when I happen to roll by Sears and have a few extra bucks in my pocket, picked up a multi-meter which I have no idea (yet) how to use, and have both the mechanical and electrical service manuals for my bike on their way in the mail.
I decided when I signed the papers for this bike back in Spring that this would be both a hobby and a commuting solution in the Northern VA area (where riding a motorcycle makes sense in rush hour, lane-restricted traffic arteries) and I am just going to chalk up the routine maintenance as part of that entire experience. I want reliability and longevity out of my bike, and whether I planned for it or not, the bragging rights associated with having some direct hands-on responsibility for that high mileage to come will be part of the overall experience for me.
No more wobbles for me 50 miles after a routine fluid change and PM interval!

Last edited by City Chicken; 12-08-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling
City Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

I have the service manual for my old 2008 street glide. I realize it close enough to use for some things. I am a mechanic by trade,just figured you spend that kind of money it should be ready to ride. Told service manager if the guy isn't doing all the check points,then replace him. It makes me really think I need to trade with another dealer about an hour away. It's just sad you have to travel out of your town to get good service.....
Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mississippi Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide rider View Post
I have the service manual for my old 2008 street glide. I realize it close enough to use for some things. I am a mechanic by trade,just figured you spend that kind of money it should be ready to ride. Told service manager if the guy isn't doing all the check points,then replace him. It makes me really think I need to trade with another dealer about an hour away. It's just sad you have to travel out of your town to get good service.....
Can't believe the service manager would say someting like he did about this tech. I agree, if he is skipping things that are prescribed by HD (and you're paying him to do them), he needs to go.
Talking to a tech this morning as he pumped a Fat Boy's steering neck bearings full of grease. Took a feull tube. My last 3 bikes each took a full tube +. Cannot understand why Harley doesn't properly lubricate these bearings before they leave the assembly line.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well I have an update...... Thought I was getting my bike today,it's not raing and a lovely 40 degrees. I called before I drive 30 minutes to dealer. Was told it be ready Friday. Well it's not done. What gives, was told they don't know whas wrong with it. They have the forks off of it and don't have any idea what it is. Really a 2013 what could be wrong. They lowered it when I bought it. So it has to be something in the forks if not the steering head bearings. The guy working on it doesn't work weekends so they are waiting for him to start again on Monday. I am really confused...what else can it be? I hope it's something they did when they lowered the forks. I will keep all following posted..
Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

well i took my 2013 street glide in for service today and i must say i was pretty satisfied. the dealer looked out for me on the cost of the first service pretty well. maybe it was because a friend that rode in with me traded his ultra and got a new street glide.
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote